Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple questions:

First, is there supposed to a brown liquid inside the area where the spark plugs are at? I went to see why it was runnin terribly, pulled the boot off and out comes some liquid I have never seen around spark plugs before.

Second, has anyone previously had issues with their car bogging and sound like it's misfiring while tryin to accelerate? That was the orignal issue and when i went to check the spark plugs and wires, I ran into that issue with brown liquid (like a red clay colored, watery type liquid). Now, it runs even worse, as I'm sure some drained down.

It blows my mind that there would ever be any kind of fluids in a cavity above the plugs, in any shape or form, on purpose. But the color tells me it isn't supposed to be there. So wtf could it be? I don't have the time to drag it/ nurse it to a shop, not to mention I don't trust any shops in NC. I have seen nothin but garbage work at basically every place I or my friends go. A little help would be amazing. If I screwed up in the first place, don't be afraid to tell me. Most of my knowledge on vehicles is basic high school auto shop, which was upwards of 9 years ago since I had worked on anything beyond basic preventive maintenance or bolt on mods.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
sounds like the valve cover is leaking. the fluid is most likely engine oil. The oil could be causing the misfire, replace the valve cover gasket, the spark plugs, and the spark plug wires. All pretty easy and only requires basic tools.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Your more then likely fine , water can get in there in heavy rains or washing your engine , if the valve cover is leaking it also can let oil in there and both will cause a misfire

If you have a shop vac what I do is put a small hols in the shop vac hose and tape it so the small hose has Vac and then clean out around the spark plugs good , then spray some crab cleaner in to get everything good and clean . clean your spk plug boots with soap and water and give it another try the misfire should be gone then find out if it was oil or water and fix that issue

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys. Once I sat down and thought about it, I figured at least cleaning it could be fine. Just a little water around the connections. I grabbed some electical connection cleaner and dielectric grease so once i get a minuter to clean that stuff, I'll hit it up. I suppose I went right to the forums w/o thinkin. I appreciate the help though. I hope it isnt a leaking gasket haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts