Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spaceweather says NOT fully earth directed:

MAJOR X-FLARE + CME UPDATE: Earth-orbiting satellites have detected a long-duration X1.4-class solar fare coming from a new sunspot on the sun's eastern limb. The blast, which peaked at 1100 UT, produced a significant coronal mass ejection (CME). Using data from the SOHO-STEREO fleet of spacecraft, analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab have modeled the trajectory of the CME and concluded that the body of the cloud will not hit Earth. A minor glancing encounter with the outskirts of the CME is, however, possible on Sept. 25th.

http://spaceweather.com/

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't ring a bell so, I don't think so.

There was a giant earth directed flare back in the mid-late 1800's. It made the wires on telegraph poles catch fire.

We had that X 19 flare in 2003 but it was perpendicular to the earth and had little impact.

This one is a little more on track. If we get a large earth directed flare, it will not be good.

We will know in a couple of days how much this one will affect us.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Any word on if the planets magnetic field is going to help sheild this?

We've got enough to worry about with the satellite that could fall more or less anywhere.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I'm going to go find me a cave somewhere. Tell me when it's safe to come out again.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
If there's a massive solar flare, I'll suck the barrel of my .40 cal.

Burning alive is tue worst way to die. Tied in first with being eaten alive.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^That depends on what she looks like LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts