Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace the front passenger side wheel bearing on my 2000 Ford Focus SE, DOHC. There's a whine from the passenger side of the car when at speed, and the pitch appears to vary linearly with the car's speed.

I purchased a replacement Timken bearing from RockAuto, and I'm borrowing a special tool from a friend to press the old bearing out/new bearing in.

Here's my question:
Is it necessary to replace the hub when changing a front bearing?

In just about every guide for a front bearing replacement I've found thus far a new hub is installed, but I don't understand why this would be needed.

-EF

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If the hub isn't gouged up or anything wrong & it fits great & the studs are good, why not, even if you have to replace the studs. Is the hub true?

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's not necessary to replace the hub unless it is damaged.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

No need for hub if it's OK, same for the knuckle.

Either could need replacement if worn/damaged.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The only reason to replace the hub as a complete unit is for convenience. If you didn't have a press or one of those tools that walks the bearing in and out, some do-it-yourselfers will just buy a complete hub and swap the two. It's still cheaper than having a shop do it, but in my opinion, not enough of a savings to be worth the trouble.

Toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sure you're not thinking of the rear for disc brakes?

There you could buy an assembled hub/bearing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
That's a good point. If you're replacing the front bearing, don't bother shopping for hubs. There's no way you'll escape pressing the bearing. It's just parts you don't need.

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That's a good point. If you're replacing the front bearing, don't bother shopping for hubs. There's no way you'll escape pressing the bearing. It's just parts you don't need.

Toby
Unless the hub is damaged, by gouges or if its not running true.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you everyone! I'll inspect it once I do finally get the hub off.

Hoping to leave the knuckle on the car for this repair, we'll see how far this gets heheh.

Also perhaps another noob question here:
Using a hub puller, is it possible to damage the axle/transmission/anything by applying pressure past when the axle separates from the hub? (basically, putting a LOT of pressure onto the axle as the bearing begins to separate)

I'd love to keep going with the tool to push/break the old bearing, but I think I'll be in a world of hurt if doing such a thing does any unwanted damage, especially to the transmission.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nope - knuckle removal to press bearing out & new one in is necessary.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Nope - knuckle removal to press bearing out & new one in is necessary.
Roger beat me to it^^^^^^^ What you have to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts