Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the focus to the shop to get it re-aligned today because it was wearing the outside shoulder of my right front tire....The guy tells me that it is pointless to re-align my car until I replace a "Hub barring" that I somehow broke or w/e....They want to charge me 80 dollars for this barring, 160 dollars for the service to put it on and then charge another 80 for a re-alignment...

Should I get this? or can someone tell me how to install a barring?
Or perhaps someone can sell me one cheaper AND someone could tell me how to install...saving me tons of cash....thx

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I believe the term is "wheel bearing". That quote is a little on the high side I think. The need to press the bearings back in. The procedure is like a 1 hour process. Labor rates are like 60-90 an hour if you look around.

The price for the bearing is like $20-$50 each I think.

Is this price for 1 wheel, 1 axel, or all 4 wheels?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Foci_Fosho said:
I believe the term is "wheel bearing". That quote is a little on the high side I think. The need to press the bearings back in. The procedure is like a 1 hour process. Labor rates are like 60-90 an hour if you look around.

The price for the bearing is like $20-$50 each I think.

Is this price for 1 wheel, 1 axel, or all 4 wheels?
Is it possible to do this on your own or do I need a professional to handle it....If someone gives me a how-to my dad (who knows a lil bit about fords) and I can probably handle it

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You need a machine press for the removal or reinstallation of the bearing.
I'll search the net, I've seen it before, but I think the procedure was for the rear brakes. I'll check.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What model and year Focus?
The Front or Rear wheel bearings.
There are some TSB's or recalls.

I heard from google that dealerships will replace the affected cars with no charge.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You don't need that many tools, if you can get the spindle off the car and to a shop that will press the bearings in for you this is possible. That said, its not always easy getting all of the nuts and bolts off of the spindle to get the spindle off the car. If you want to try it I can type up a walk-through, its not that bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nahh dont make extra work for yourself....Ill probably just see it and go...omg! Does anyone know anywhere in the tampa area that will do this for cheaper and still be reliable?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts