Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock Blaupunkt HU has decided to not work anymore. This is the 3rd or 4th time i have had to reset it, but now it wont reset at all. Today I went to a local audio shop and they had a Kenwood X590. I am a total newb as far as car audio goes, but I do know some of the name brands. They told me this one was gonna run me about $250. Ive done some searching and looked at different prices, but theyre all somewhere above $200.

My friend suggested a JVC Arsenal KD-AR960, Sony CDX-RA700, or Alpine CDA-9856. They are all right around that price range. I want to have someform of a USB connection to my MP3 player cuz I dont have an ipod. I also want it to have pretty decent amp output because eventually i will put in better speakers. I have some mp3 burned cds that i would like the HU to play aswell.

Because I am a newb, I would like your imputs on which you guys prefer. I have owned a Pioneer HU, but really didnt find something by them. I have not owned any of these other brands of HUs so I have no idea what they are like. Please help me out, which do you guys and gals prefer?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well, I'm definately no expert, but here's my opinion....

From what I've noticed (at least when I was shopping for decks) Kenwoods are more 'basic' as far as the display goes, which is fine by me (I'm more concerned that my deck sounds good, looks come second). The Alpine is a nice unit, I've had some experience with them. Again, most Alpines have a basic LCD display (usually one or two colors).

I believe that all decks in the $250 price range have three sets of preouts (in case you want to add amps and/or subs down the road). Also, make sure you go by the RMS power output. Decks that claim 52 watts per channel (max power) are really more like 18-22 watts/channel (continuous).

I have a Pioneer DEH-P7600 (it's about two years old, so it's not being made anymore). I personally love it because it has lots of options for customizing the sound and has a simple, but nice looking design. The newer Pioneer's have a different design than mine, but it is still what I would buy if I were to buy a new deck (probably the Premier P80, or whatever the full name is). If you couldn't find any Pioneer in your price range, look harder, they are definately out there. I think the newest version of mine (P-7xxx) and anything above it would do what you need it to.

Sorry for the long post, hope I answered a few question in that mess somewhere....

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the pioneers i saw were either $200 or above $300. I dont want a cheapy deck like the first pioneer I had that was like $100 or so. I do have an SVT sub/box enclosure and I am looking to hook it up to my deck. Becuase I dont have the audiofile HU, I have to splice in the lines to the amp (which has to be aftermarket because the stock amp is weird and i can find the connector for it) but if i get an aftermarket HU now, i wont have to splice it in. since i have to get an aftermarket amp anyways, might as well upgrade the sub to a better 8 incher....found an sony xploid for $70, is that worth it? It was a 250 watts or soo sub....The JVC is offered at Bestbuy for $250 with free installation, which im sure they would do a better job, but its also not their car and they wouldnt be as meticulous as i would be (took me and my dad almost all day to install the $100 deck into the 83 mustang I was driving then cuz we had to run new wires and literally take out the dash to get the deck out...)

I just havent had any experience with JVC, Alpine, Sony, or Kenwood to know if they have any problems that are persistent in those brands. Personally, I dont want the flashy display or anything cuz i dont live in the best neighborhood and I dont want to come out to my car and see it gone....Thats why I really like the Kenwood and Alpine, but the Sonys always look cool.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDAR960 JVC break down

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9856 Alpine break down

http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-UPWhabtJTE2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=158RA700 sony break down

I have the Kenwood catalouge, but I couldnt find anything online about it, only places where to buy it...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hmmm...I see what you mean. Pioneer sort of widened the gap between the 6800 and 7800. The 6800 is less than what you want to spend, and the 7800 is more.

From the three decks you hve their, I would say go with the Alpine. However, I've never owned a Sony, JVC or Kenwood deck, so I can't really say much about them. All of the people I know that have Alpines like them, and they sound pretty good too.

As far as installation, if you feel confident, do it yourself. It's a pretty easy process in the Focus. You don't have to remove any interior panels (at least on the 01', I'm not sure about the new ones). Just buy the $4 'Ford Radio Removal Pins' from Best Buy, push them into the holes on the front of the factory deck, and it will come right out.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, ive already removed the deck before, looking for an external reset button cuz there is something screwed up in the deck with the memory or processing. Thanks for your help man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts