Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow i think im gonna do this mod and it seems to work good for everyone else but im still a little confused about what to cut but ill read on it some more.

nice mod , i like not spending money....

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
scotty,
The euro grille cover you are referring to is not a direct fit for the US spec stock grille. Many over here have upgraded to this part when adding a Euro grille. I have since done so myself. Thanks for the post though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HRW,
Nice mod. I was wondering about car washes, and winter conditions. Doesn't the water come through the cowl also. I looked up there, and would like to do the mod, as it seem alittle more practical than rigging something up in the grille. But my fear was water entering the tubing through the cowl. If I missed something please tell me, my friends tell me I am an idiot all the time!!!
TB

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I have run with this setup for a couple of years without any problems. Unless you take a garden hose and aim it directly at the tube upenning sticking through the cowl, any water ingestion is to minimal and actually will drain as the lower filter box has provision for water drainage through channels and holes in the box's mounting props. During the winter, I just make sure to sweep the cowl screen of snow and ice. If you wanted, you could work with a pvc elbow, and face the openning inside the cowl area downward. This would all but eliminate the chance of ingestion.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I added a bit to the HRW intake. along with cutting off the piece of the gille top cover, I used some scrap sheet metal and cut it to fit around the light housing and under the front grille. I took the corner of it and secured it under the washer that holds the grille down, then simply bent it to fit under the grille to give a more aerodynamic flow to the air coming in through the grille.

So that it wont hit the radiator then go up and over the frame into the intake.

I think you should try this out HRW. cost me free dollars and took all of 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
HRW...
Nice mod, and it's great to see those numbers to back it up. I have a K&N cone filter on my stock MAF. I wonder if this would even be worth the time for me. I think the cone filter is sucking in almost all of it's air from under the hood, and not much of it is coming from the snorkle (I left the bottom of the factory airbox entact).

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'd say switching over will definately reduce temps over your current setup. If you are concerned the flat panel won't flow as much as a cone, don't be. The SVT intake with flat panel K&N made as much power as a Volant on the dyno done by Oscar Jackson, Sr. Just pick up a K&N or ITG (my preference).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm in the process of making a heat shield for around my K&N cone (in fact, I'm writing the first part of the the thread for it right now...). I'm going to use the digital temp guage that my friend gave me to test the temps, somewhat like you did.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I had almost completely forgotten about this thread. I haven't done the HRW mod at all, but I do remember the grill cover debris "bump" making a noticeable difference in my old car. I think I'll do that to the SVT today along with some other little stuff. Nice and easy with a good result.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yeah, it's been a few years for that mod. I happen to run across it in a search a few days ago and then today a forum member brought it up to me again, so I figured I'd stretch the legs of this mod again.

Btw, are you still seeing the pics?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a setup similar, yet different to this one. I have to give props to c9ollie for the idea. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129668 Rather than have the tube run back from the resonator to the cowl, the tube runs down to behind the front lower grill. Place a “velocity” stack over the end (in this case a funnel) and fix it to the grill.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts