Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, there have been multiple threads discussing our intakes and for those who have been participating and following this, thanks for answering my questions and guiding me along.

quick update for those seeing this for the first time: we were looking for cheap intakes, HPS from ebay looked good (looked just like the FS CAI) so i went ahead and bought it for about $150 bucks.

heres how it went:

shipping and price were great, i got usps with delivery confirmation and insurance which bumped up the price, but i didnt want any chances. came during this last week and just put it in today.
ive never ever done mechanical work on a car before so it wasss..... an adventure to say the least. pretty much ignored the directions after looking at them to get the idea. fit is very tight and went smoothly overall, with a little difficulty, probably from lack of experience. if you want a detailed story let me know but i wanna get to these pictures!

click them to make them bigger by the way...

heres the internet pic (it only comes with 2 of those sleeves/reducers just to be clear):

heres how it looked when i got it:

heres the rest of the pictures (the filter one is after installed and the splash guard back so it was tight getting the pic without accessing the splash guard):

conclusion: everything else mechanical is stock right now, so no exhaust to compliment this... yet. (in the spring im planning on a Trubenz Magnaflow SS 2.5"). revving at a standstill does not as noticably enhance the sound as much as i had hoped. although while accelerating it sounds much better, if only it did the same in neutral. for some reason it sounds better in gear. i have also noticed that at faster speeds, the overall rpms are slightly lower, i assume this means there was a slight improvement in performance.

C&C, observations, and questions are welcome (also if anyone wants a more in-depth review or better pictures or details on the install process, ill give it a shot)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it cost me 150, but i think im gonna go ahead and get a 20 dollar outerwear...

thanks, it was my first time doing anything on my car so it took a while, plus i really wanted to make sure it was done right
(i also didnt have anything to put the car up on so i used my changing-tire jack to raise the car a little, and we removed the wheel it helped a lot actually)

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
feal free to copy and paste your post in the cold air intake thread...

good info with pictures [thumb]

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Great to hear it worked out for you. Let us know somemore on performance and quality. I have always said this looks like a good kit, would be nice to get somemore positive feedback for other to see, rather than just taking my opinion.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^^yes, do that. itd be good to get more info on this intake out to everyone, since it really is a good-looking, cheap alternative to the others out there. glad you got it in. knew you could do it.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
nice job bro, excellent write up

·
Registered
783 Posts
sweet. nice work. definately let us know on the quality. 150 for a CAI is a great deal

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah once i got the wheel off i unscrewed the splash guard and that helped A LOT.

performance wise, i am really kinda new at this but i definately feel it more in the lower gears and ive noticed i can get the rpms up when im accelerating so i can shift. i think once i get an exhaust itll open up the airflow through the back and itll be more noticable.

the only thing was that the fitment was a little off, so instead of using that rubber piece for the bottom part, we just did metal on metal but it seems just fine.

cant wait to put my xenons in [thumb]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah that helped a lot, especially considering i couldnt raise the car on anything...
so we just decided to lie down under the car being supported by just the tire jack... i know a great idea

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great write and pics. I'm looking at getting the HPS to, actually getting it tom. Does the system put the filter were the air box used to be located or does it place it somewhere else? and did you put that, plastic shield thing that under the airbox back in place?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Cossie cost me $200 used. Part of the reason I loved it so much was the fitment -- so much that I think I might be willing to pay another 50 bucks if fitment is the big issue with this thing... although $150 new is still an awesome price even if it isn't perfectly snug.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fitments not bad, i just wish there was a little more "wiggle room" for lack of a better word.

as far as the airbox, yes, the lower airbox with the filter is exaclty where the filter sits now and no i didnt re-use the housing. i dont think the filter would fit, and if it did it would be more restrictive i assume. so plain filter (considering a filter wrap for added protection) although the splash guard seem pretty adequate.

also, i am glad to report it sounds better and better with use- [woot]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive got it all picked out already- Trubenz 2.5 inch SS Magnaflow w/ high flow cat.... helll yeeaaahhhhh

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well i bought the same kit just a month ago , i also have the focus sport sport exhaust , it made a big improvement to me , it sounds so nice when your driving and u get on it , i like it a lot , if your looking to save some dough i would buy this CAI , it is worth the $150.00 .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts