Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my main question I have is how much horsepower and torque should my automatic tranny be able to handle? I have an 09 se. Just for an idea of what I want to do is exhaust, intake, turbo kit, and some internals of course. So if any have that knowledge it would be such a great help! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I believe I have heard numbers as much as around 200 WHP before stuff might start slipping. A lot of an automatics ability to hold power comes down to the amount of hydraulic force it can put out and how quickly it puts it out. You can replace the valve body with an aftermarket one that will firm up the shifts a lot and provide added longevity of the clutch packs and bands inside the transmission. The more these clutches and bands are allowed to slip the less their life will be but on the plus side the shifts will be almost un-noticable. Firm up the shifts and they will last longer but you sure will feel each one.

If you really wanted to get into it sometimes you can tear these things apart and actually add a clutch disc here and there while being sure to keep their stack height the same. But thats probably more trouble than its worth.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Tom has a tune to increase the line pressure to help with this issue, and the Lentech valve body is freaking awesome.

·
Registered
149 Posts
200 whp is about where it will start to complain

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
i kinda beg for differ my 04 didn't have much done to the motor an 3rd gear started to slip bad...........unless they beefed up the transmission in the newer modles.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
If you add the valve body from lentech how much more hp and tq can you throw down?
its more the torque converter that starts to slip and there is no replacement for that yet. Admin Tom has a prototype on his stg 2 duratec but he said over the summer that it was just starting to slip.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its not so much the HP rating you have to worry about either. Its the torque. The 4F27E tranny that they put in the Focus, according to its name, can handle 270 ft/lbs (at the crank) of torque supposedly.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
no way. guys with 230hp have killed their trannys. so u know the tq wasnt up at 270.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, thats what i am thinking. then again, if ford says 270...and u had it at dyno-proven 260, and it failed....could u get it under warranty?

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
my spi with some bolt ons at 50k the tq converter was starting to slip and that made 100whp MAX it all depends on the tranny really, some can get near 200 outta it, but i wouldnt do much more then 150 to the wheels, basically bolt ons and itll be fine turbo, u need to do work on it

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
That is how Ford rates their trannies. Its all in the name. 4F27E. The number 27 is times by ten to get the total torque rating of what Ford thinks outta the tranny. Its all in the name. Of course this is at the crank and not wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts