Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Thanks for this awsome how-to. I finally got around to changing one of mine today, and your how-to made it very easy to do. It only took me like 2 minutes. [thumb]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
If you are like me I had a bulb issue with no lights all the time recently. Kept blowing fuses. Anyway thanks to some good advice from someone here I checked and found out the metal contacts were touching inside the hatch and blowing my fuses. Adjusted those and taped 'em up good with zero issues since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got I ticket last week because I didn't change the license plate lamps. I thought I had to take the inside of the hatch out, and I was just too lazy to do it! If I had known how easy it was, I could have saved a fat fine!

Thanks for the great info! I'll be checking here forever.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
good write up, when mine burns out ill be coming to this thread

·
Registered
505 Posts
very nice how too i'm looking to replace the white lights with blue ones does any one know what kind of bulb i need to look for (like model number? and maybe a cheap website)

thanks

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
The bulb number for the license plate lamps are 6418. Make sure that you look at the specifications for them. Look for 39mm or 1 1/2" in length. I usually shop around for specific types of bulbs online rather than going to an auto parts store. I've used http://www.autolumination.com in the past and I like the results there.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did mine a little over two months ago. Swapped out for the leds from autolumination (great place gotten bulbs for all my cars from there for a few years now). The 3 led bulbs give that look like the acuras have. Nice little bluish white glow. However when I opened mine up to swap the bulbs out everything was covered in that green oxidation like salt water got in there from the winter (yay ohio). I scratched off the contacts with a screw driver. But does anybody have any ideas how to clean those out?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Might try a little bit of coca cola on a toothbrush. Works great to clean battery terminals too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish mine had not been so rusty, the first one just fell apart, had to rig it together and take it apart from the back ( behind the plastic trim plate) to replace the second one. Oh well I guess 200k+ miles will get some water/rust back there- not exactly watertight assembly!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank god for this post. I was pulled over for no tag light about a year and a half ago. I got some bulbs and couldn't figure out how the hell to put them in. I took the trunk liner out and had to thread my arm around to get at it from the other side. The bulbs never would snap in place (couldn't see contact points) and it has been a pain until now. Can't wait to drive tonight and not worry about getting a dumb ticket!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I want to switch out my bulbs, one of them blew so figure its a matter of time before other one goes. As long as I get a bulb with a size 6418 and 39mm then its going to work no matter what color/brand right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks

Great post, helped me out great! but when I opened my bulb assembly I noticed a bunch of blue fluid drip out of the area the bulb assembly went in. I think it was washer fluid, I'm a bit concerned because it looked like there had been plenty of fluid in the as parts of the assembly were stained blue.

thoughts? should I be concerned? the new bulb worked fine after I put a new one in.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
thanks for this man, absolutely helpful.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts