Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would agree with you re: X-Ice vs Blizzak but my choice of X-Ice was due more to longer tread life and in a sense, needing any winter tire, to replace my "Summer Use Only" OEM 18". I did some research and although not the top rated snow tire, the XIce was a decent rain and ice tire (duh) and of course, the price was a factor.
yeah been rockin the x-ice now for my second winter, not sure if Blizzaks would've been much better but the x-ice seems to manage ok. it warmed up unusually here in Anchorage and rained making super slick ice with water on top. Almost slid into a snowbank at 20 mph but idk what tire would really make a difference in that scenario. All in all great in snow, decent enough on ice I would say.[driving]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought you guys were crazy, but I drove home in the snow yesterday on the stock 17" Contis. They were awful. I'm now seriously looking at getting a set of 15" snow tires and wheels. I can't afford it, but I can't afford to wreck this car the next time it snows either. They did a terrible job preparing the roads this time, and I was trying to merge on to a highway. The onramp was not treated, I basically did a 4 wheel drift on to the driving lane. Luckily the person behind me was nice enough to let me in.

Edit: I have the 5 speed, so luckily I have some more control.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Im on the stock 16" conti's with 28000 miles on them, dealer said the fronts are down to 3/32 tread, so they are getting to the point of replacement, It still actually drives ok in the snow, unless we have a layer of Ice under it, or its packed down to where it is slick for anyone. I drive a 5 speed FF, dunno if that makes a difference, but it does fine still

·
Registered
130 Posts
15 inch Blizzaks, traction control off, and transmission in sport mode with me choosing the gears.

Works like a charm and quite fun actually. Just stay out of the deep deep stuff cause of the low ground clearance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The deep stuff is where it's fun though, with good winter tires (which you have) you shouldn't have an issue. There's nothing like throwing snow everywhere in a slide.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Oddly enough. I still have my OEM conti's and they're gone! like 1/32nd left if that. And My car is beast in the snow! Yes I take it easy and am replacing my tires. But I was VERY impressed with it.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Oddly enough. I still have my OEM conti's and they're gone! like 1/32nd left if that. And My car is beast in the snow! Yes I take it easy and am replacing my tires. But I was VERY impressed with it.
Guess im with you on this one lol[thumb][thumb]

·
Registered
464 Posts
We don't tend to get a lot of snow here in NC, but we have gotten recordable amounts twice now, 1 week apart. This last one was more freezing rain and sleet, so the roads were in pretty bad shape. Even with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS3's on my Ti with the handling package, I had minimal problems. The traction control did kick on a few times, but nothing more than a couple of seconds, and we were sailing. No sliding, no loss of control, people staring at me like I was crazy for driving somewhat normally instead of 10 miles an hour. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and with a birthday in February, I learned to drive in snow and ice. And with a 5 speed and the ability to downshift and compression brake, I had no issues. Quite impressed, really.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I drove in snow for the first time Friday. I have 18x8's. It was awful. My 80' El Camino with positrac does better in the snow. I'm not buying a new set of wheels and tires though, I'll just drive my Caravan which does great in the snow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I drove in snow for the first time Friday. I have 18x8's. It was awful. My 80' El Camino with positrac does better in the snow. I'm not buying a new set of wheels and tires though, I'll just drive my Caravan which does great in the snow.
so it sounds like you have the Ti handling package? You do realize that those are summer only tires, and they are not meant to be driven in the winter?

[facepalm]

·
Registered
96 Posts
so it sounds like you have the Ti handling package? You do realize that those are summer only tires, and they are not meant to be driven in the winter?

[facepalm]
Yup, just didn't think it would be that bad. It was less than 1" of snow, albeit real light stuff, not heavy wet snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, just didn't think it would be that bad. It was less than 1" of snow, albeit real light stuff, not heavy wet snow.
Tried summer tires in snow once in my old Accord - sounds like you made it a lot further than I did. I chickened out halfway down my street (sliding so bad the ABS figured I was stopped and gave up) then got stuck trying to go back up curb of my driveway. Sigh.

Focus has been fine on stock tires here in MD so far. I've been impressed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It seems one of the transmission updates (not sure which one) helped the TCS out quite a bit. Last winter, I could put it to the floor in a parking lot and it would quickly settle out to just over Idle RPM. It made pulling out onto a highway a risky maneuver, but now it's a lot better. The tires on this car are a little wider than other compact cars (215 vs Corolla&Civic 195-205) so it helps a lot to get better all seasons and keep the psi at 35 in the cold. The siping on the all season stock conti's make water and snow driving excessively dangerous sometimes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, but that's NC snow! Try the white Canadian S#$T, your 18" summer tires won't get you up a 1% gradient!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well that is the thing. Summer tires are not M/S rated. Which means they are not rated or designed to be used in the snow.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had some snow over the last few days and my lowered 5spd SE did great. The stock economy tires drive like stock economy tires so as long as you keep that in mind, you're fine.

I also had a fun game of "confuse the stability control" since it allows a little bit of yaw before catching and attempting to correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been driving my 2002 svt focus in Michigan with snow tires for years! I do have an Explorer for back up if the snow is too deep.

201 - 220 of 271 Posts