Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Really? Maybe yours are malfunctioning because I have had many different cars with heated seats and none were as hot as these on the higher settings - on 5 I would be sweating!
Same here, I can hardly stand # 4 setting. Maybe I am just warm hearted.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Getting coolant into a steering wheel seems a tad complicated... have never heard of this before. Heating is easy obviously, just need an electrical resistor. Presumably the "cooling" is not active, is there a little pump int he steering column moving coolant around? Seems very impractical.
Like I said, I don't know but the seats are cooled too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I test drove an SE hatch I turned the heated seats on and could feel it in no time. I don't recall what setting I had set the dial too though. Luckily with the SEL, the knobs aren't located beneath the arm rest. Downside is the cup holders are a bit too close to the arm rest.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find it interesting that a lot of folks agree on the seats being very warm. In contrast, I find them just ok on level 5. It could be that I've gotten used to the BMW, as those seats get very hot. In the 5, You can also adjust intensity between the seat back and the seat cushion. I would have really liked that on the Focus. Although, I would just settle for very warm seats in general...oh well.
I am surprised. I find I can only handle 5 for about 10 seconds. 4 may last and entire minute, and 3 is OK for for a chilly day for long term warming! Get pretty chilly, so maybe yours is malfunctioning?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am surprised. I find I can only handle 5 for about 10 seconds. 4 may last and entire minute, and 3 is OK for for a chilly day for long term warming! Get pretty chilly, so maybe yours is malfunctioning?
Cold day in bay Area CA is what 40? A cold day in MN is -40. On days like that setting 5 is perfect I am sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cold day in bay Area CA is what 40? A cold day in MN is -40. On days like that setting 5 is perfect I am sure.
It has been super frosty in the Bay for the past couple of weeks. We are down to 30. :)

But I found the 5 uncomfortably hot to the touch after a very short while. Once the car is warm, I think 5 is probably too hot for most people. (I have one friend who is always cold, so she loves 5!)

I do find that my focus keeps the heat warm for a surprisingly long time. I used my heater one day in the am, and when i returned to my car at 5, the hot air came on right after I started it. Impressive. And I parked in a garage with no direct sunlight or anything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Heated and cooled seats - YES (just directing airflow through the perforated seating material)

Heated and cooled steering wheel - NO (only heated - check your owner's manual or even the brochure or the nissan website and you'll see for yourself). Would be interesting if they ever created one where you could do the same and direct the cooled airflow to the steering column and out a perforated steering wheel (but methinks this type of wheel would create a safety hazard)

My Maxima has a heated and cooled stearing wheel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Heated and cooled seats - YES (just directing airflow through the perforated seating material)

Heated and cooled steering wheel - NO (only heated - check your owner's manual or even the brochure or the nissan website and you'll see for yourself). Would be interesting if they ever created one where you could do the same and direct the cooled airflow to the steering column and out a perforated steering wheel (but methinks this type of wheel would create a safety hazard)
Thought so - seemed logistically impossible or extremely difficult to cool a steering wheel.

Whatever goes through the wheel has to pivot completely. If you've ever removed a steering wheel you know how electrical components - originally just for the horn, now for airbags, stereo controls etc - are passed along using a circular electrical contact track. I was having great difficulty imagining how either cooled air or liquid could be circulated into a steering wheel.

Seats, yes, easy - the A/C vents can just be directed along the floor and up through seats. You could even install a liquid cooling system like those mattress pads where coolant is pumped through the upholstery or something. Much simpler than a steering wheel!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts