Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am a novice to anything to do with suspension!

i was just wondering if anyone could help me? im wanting to put some new lowering springs too the back off my focus...

My focus is the 2000 model. English version if that makes any difference?
[dunno]
mik

·
Registered
82 Posts
haha a while back i was willing to do anything to lower the rear of mine. i had roush lowering springs which did a good job of lowering both the front and the rear. someones selling both roush shocks and springs you should get on that... haha

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
you are just wanting to lower the rear? i don't think that would look good. Get a whole kit and it will feel and drive much better. and look better too. I just installed the FRPP kit on mine. I made a thread today so check out the pics to give you an idea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha no iv got springs all round im just wanting someone to help tell me how to get the rear springs out of my focus soo i can put my new ones in if any one can help me please dooo..... thanks

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
did you check out my thread? i have pics of the bolt that you need to remove to drop them. and it usually is seized FYI. You need to put the car on jack stands. Remove the rear wheels. Remove the sway bar end link bolts. Place jack under the spring cup and jack up slightly to remove tension on the bolt. Now remove that lca bolt i have pictured. then lower the jack down slow. you might have to use some force if the control arm won't go down all the way. Then the spring will fall out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
dont do it urself, pay someone to do it, my friend did it himself, broke 2 bolts, coz they were very rusty, so ended up paying $400 just to remove them and finish the job only for the rear, front is easier to do it.. im plannin to do it but the problem is i dont wanna take a chanche and do it myself and also dont want to pay $300-400 for someone to install it..

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The rear is easy. Just that stupid lca bolt is the only prob. If you live like where i do where salt is used every time someone farts and it rains a lot and snows... you will have tons of rust and that bolt will most def be seized in the bushing. MINE was so i know how much of a PITA it was. I would def pay someone to do it next time. When that bolt is not seized its just simple. the front is a lil more involved but still easy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
lol thats where i live, every time i look under my car at the back, i just wanna turn away.. its so rusty especially the bolts.. theres no way im gonna be able to brake them lose without braking them .. so [:)][:)][:)][:)] that :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well you can do it another way.. or atleast try. You can remove the bolt connecting the lca to the crossmember. That's the cam bolt and pull the lca down that way to remove the spring. It can be done that way.

·
Registered
889 Posts
is there any way to just compress the spring so much so it would just slide it without removing any of that shit?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ nope. Welll people have done it... I've used 2 diff compressors and had NO close to any luck. Actually the haynes manual states to use a compressor. If you can find that compressor used in the book then it will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well my bolts seem to be in really good condtion? and no rust soo i will take my time and supose try it myself fingers crossed the bolts wont break! cheers for the advice

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i doubt you bolts will break.. They will prob be seized to the bushing

·
Registered
265 Posts
is there any way to just compress the spring so much so it would just slide it without removing any of that shit?

ya just put your car jack directly under the spring cup. jack it up it will compress it more. but before you do put a crapload of zipties inbeween the last few coils. when the spring is compressed pull the zipties closed.

Then all you have to do is lower the jack and pull out the coil. then cut all the zipties and make sure your head is directly above the coil. [slap]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts