Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of pushing the switch on dash and nothing happening. So popped off the instrument panel trim and removed the switch. Surprised to find a circuit board in there. Companies are always looking to make things cheaper.

You can take the switch apart and find the parts that need to be cleaned. You won't see anything physically wrong by looking at it. The problem is the same with TV remote controls and telephones. The rubber piece is some form of silicone that eventually leaches out some of its compound and contaminates the electrical contacts. The circuit board needs to be cleaned with alcohol and so does the carbon dot inside the white rubber piece. It will work fine for a while and then go bad again. To keep from taking it apart every six months, I found a contact cleaner that will keep it from getting contaminated again. It is Deoxit D5 that I use on electronic controls. Spray some on a q-tip and apply to the circuit board and the carbon dot. Re-assembly and your'e done.

This stuff is pricy, but it goes a log way and it can be used anytime you disconnect a connector, spray it.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got tired of pushing the switch on dash and nothing happening. So popped off the instrument panel trim and removed the switch. Surprised to find a circuit board in there. Companies are always looking to make things cheaper.

You can take the switch apart and find the parts that need to be cleaned. You won't see anything physically wrong by looking at it. The problem is the same with TV remote controls and telephones. The rubber piece is some form of silicone that eventually leaches out some of its compound and contaminates the electrical contacts. The circuit board needs to be cleaned with alcohol and so does the carbon dot inside the white rubber piece. It will work fine for a while and then go bad again. To keep from taking it apart every six months, I found a contact cleaner that will keep it from getting contaminated again. It is Deoxit D5 that I use on electronic controls. Spray some on a q-tip and apply to the circuit board and the carbon dot. Re-assembly and your'e done.

This stuff is pricy, but it goes a log way and it can be used anytime you disconnect a connector, spray it.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Awesome! I'm getting tired of having to punch the button to make it work.[hihi]

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
You have so hit the nail on the head there. I have trouble like that with everything carbon buttoned; being in high humidity only makes it worse. Gonna be looking up that product, been using alcohol as well. I commonly use a pencil eraser that is not too gritty to erase the deposit/oxide off the contact tracks too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts