Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I feel like a real idiot for having to ask.... but.... How do the connectors on an 07 automatic cooler lines (the ones going to the radiator) disconnect? I have the factory manual and it would seem line you squeeze in a tab and pull them loose? Then elsewhere it states you need a disconnect tool. Seems like the same kind of thing for the fuel filter, also. So... how exactly do you use this tool? I've seen them in the auto parts stores and they don't have any instructions [mad]. I'm stumped. Anybody got any photos of how these things work or instructions??? Any advice appreciated!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It should slip over the line, slim end to the connection, push it into the connection and pull the line apart (one hand on either side).
There is a spring holding the line together and the tool stretches the spring and allows the connection to come apart.

Stolen internet pics

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
They're usually made out of nylon...so you find the right size out of the set, by spreading the slot open and placing the opening around the tube....the little flange facing the connection. Then the little flange pushes into the fitting. In doing so the tabs are forced open.

Then the fittings will separate by pulling them apart.

In theory the fuel lines come apart the same way on many cars. But the fuel lines on my '06 have a slightly different connection. The tab is just pried back with a small screw-driver. Then the lines pull apart.

I had a fuel line disconnect set like you see in the store.....but it doesn't work on the Focus fuel lines. Be careful with those tabs. Spray them with silicone before you do anything... they can break. I've seen the tabs by themselves at Advance Auto in case you break one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Way cool on the fuel filter pics, thanks! Made it really clear!
But... what about the trans cooler lines - the connectors are really different on those and it looks like a different tool (the one that looks like a nutcracker) goes around the outside????? Again, any help appreciated!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Like this?

Same concept for usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps....

Well, the ones that I have seen at autozone look a bit different. They are usually colored (like anodized) and made from some more "solid" looking stuff, as if cast or machined from aluminum as opposed to stamped. But in searching for images to post up (can't figure out how to post [dunno] ) it looks like they all work simmilar - clamp down on the line and shove "under" the connector to pop loose the internal retaining clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts