Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll try this again.

If you would like to add Media to your USB2 port on the SYNC computer. Here is a how to.

First you will need one of these. A USB mini to USB adapter.

Remove the small door on the panel on the passenger side foot-well bordering the center counsel. Remove the pin inside.

Remove the panel then by pulling towards yourself then toward the passenger seat.

Look behind the climate controls and you will see a black box about the size of a 90's walk-man. On the bottom them is a gray port. That is your USB2 port.

Plug the USB mini adapter onto your cable then into the port. It is easier that way.

Run the cable wherever you want. I ran it into the glove box. There is an opening on the left side of the cubby in the glove where the owners manual goes.

I placed my ipod on the top of the glove box where I pulled the cable through. There is a perfect little shelf there for an Ipod. I put some double sided tape on the back and it is out of sight and safe.

The voice command to access USB2 is "USB2."

I did this so I can use the USB port in the armrest to charge my phone.

Hope this helps guys!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
before i go ripping my dash apart.. any idea if this is the 2nd usb port for those with MFT?
Unfortunately, I don't have MFT so I don't know.

If it is any consolation it was pretty easy to pull that kick panel off.

Someone with MFT should venture a look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
See, I have a Ti with MFT and I have two USB ports in my armrest, which I'm guessing one of THOSE would be USB2? I haven't tried to plus two devices in yet, so I'm curious to know if there are 3 USB ports for the MFT optioned Foci? I'm guessing not, but still wonder...

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can I remove that flat plastic pin. Mine will not budge - do you need a new one to replace it? Thanks everyone.
Get a paper clip or very small screw driver. Stick it in the center hole. It should come out. Hope this helps.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
I know for a fact that the MFT-equipped models do have this extra USB port as that is how the system is updated at the dealer. Haven't tried using it yet for media though!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get a paper clip or very small screw driver. Stick it in the center hole. It should come out. Hope this helps.

Forgive me... That doesn't help at all.

I've got a small screwdriver that fits in. I've done everything with it that I think I could do with a paper clip. I've pressed pretty hard in the center and tried to pull it out. I've tried screwing it several directions. Pressing it different directions... no dice.

What am I trying to release? Should I be pushing it one way or another? [:(]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you tried swapping USB1 and USB2 to make the new "USB2" install the primary? I'm going to try this mod this weekend and put mine in the door pocket. I'd like to know if anyone has tried this mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me... That doesn't help at all.

I've got a small screwdriver that fits in. I've done everything with it that I think I could do with a paper clip. I've pressed pretty hard in the center and tried to pull it out. I've tried screwing it several directions. Pressing it different directions... no dice.

What am I trying to release? Should I be pushing it one way or another? [:(]
None of that helped me either. I ended up pulling on the panel hard enough that that plug released. After having the plug out, I see nothing that could result from using that center hole.

Since the plug is recessed and has a cover over it, I used a sheet metal screw with the proper diameter in place of the plastic plug. If I ever want to take the panel off agian, no more drama.

·
Registered
49 Posts
will this work on the SE model without SYNC? guessing not

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did this mod tonight and here are my thoughts.
1. Use a flat blade screw driver to take the flap off the side panel.

2. Getting that round pin out wasnt easy, had to work it loose and carefully pull at the panel the way described, make sure you remove the front floor mat.

3. I ordered the monoprice adaptor as mentioned eailer but it would not fit so I had to shave it down, then I was able to get into the connector. Im thinking about using a Standard USB mini 5pin male to Male USB cable and getting one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Adaptor-Coupler/dp/B000I97N0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321230113&sr=8-2

This way it will fit better & we can try to connect a USB Memory stick into the adaptor as well as an Ipod, will let you know if it works better!

And thanks for the drywall screw idea, for reconnecting the panel.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts