Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I swapped my FF3's factory fitted monochrome display Instrument Panel Cluster for a C-max's large LCD display. The firmware on the cluster is missing the information menu where TPMS and other settings are available. Also, some warning LEDs are inactive during LED test mode.

So, I would like to update/change it's firmware. Has anyone done this without taking to the Ford dealer. If so, please share your experiences like what tools you used, finding required firmware related files, etc

Thank you

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I do not have the SDHC card containing the pictures with me now, but I can give some links to similar pictures,

Before

After
Ahhh ! Here, the "after" is standard across all Focus in NA (there's two variation but really it's nothing... only color) so the dealer should be able to provide you the file... in theory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check out the Thread "FoCCCus Central ECU Config Edit" (Stickied, should be pretty much on top here)...

Option #27 and #101 should be edited accordingly...

If you really want to update the firmware you could also upload your prefered BM5T-14C026-XX firmware file with focccus, but afaik that will require a modified cable. At least for resetting IPC... Might also work with a normal cable, not entirely sure...

"After loading the main firmware you need load the EEPROM updates. For BM5T-14C026-BU for example you need to upload BM5T-14C026-FG.
For the IPC with colour screen you also need upload the big file BM5T-14C026-CV with images for that screen."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out the Thread "FoCCCus Central ECU Config Edit" (Stickied, should be pretty much on top here)...

Option #27 and #101 should be edited accordingly...

If you really want to update the firmware you could also upload your prefered BM5T-14C026-XX firmware file with focccus, but afaik that will require a modified cable.At least for resetting IPC... Might also work with a normal cable, not entirely sure...

"After loading the main firmware you need load the EEPROM updates. For BM5T-14C026-BU for example you need to upload BM5T-14C026-FG.
For the IPC with colour screen you also need upload the big file BM5T-14C026-CV with images for that screen."
Option #27 04 Trip computer and ECO-scout
Option #101 05 TPMS with Tyre Pressure Sensors 4WHL

The above settings are already written to IPC, but the the firmware itself is missing the menu item "Information" where TPMS and other settings should be available.
I have the modified ELM327 and also one of the Russian members in this forum provided me most of the information on updating the firmware.

You just answered what is left, about the order of uploading the files, thank you! So, it is the firmware first and then pictures and finally EEPROM or calibration file.

1. Does it take too long with ELM327? If so, I have to take care of backup power for my notebook.
2. Is there a way to backup the current IPC so as to use for quick recovery in case of flashing problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Option #27 04 Trip computer and ECO-scout
Option #101 05 TPMS with Tyre Pressure Sensors 4WHL

The above settings are already written to IPC, but the the firmware itself is missing the menu item "Information" where TPMS and other settings should be available.

I have the modified ELM327 and also one of the Russian members in this forum provided me most of the information on updating the firmware. However, I am still trying to find out as in which order should the files (firmware, picture and calibration) be uploaded?
At first you should check which Firmware you have and back that up.

As you described it your original IPC is the RP-32 type (Monochrome small Display) and now you probably have RP-7 (Up to November 2012) or CT. But afaik CT was only used for Focus ST or RS.

I never had a C-max, so i am not familiar with These, but it seems likely Ford would use one of These. The CT IPC has red needles if i remember right, so that should be easy to spot.

The Firmware should be loaded first, then the Pictures and the calibration, but afaik it will still work even if you load them in the wrong order. SO try like:

BM5T-14C026-BBB firmware
BM5T-14C026-ACA Pictures
BM5T-14C026-AFC calibration

and so on...

It should only take a few minutes, well okay the Image file is big, so maybe 30 minutes Maximum, rather less.

I think you can backup the Firmware, but it's prolly easier to just download it from the webserver.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At first you should check which Firmware you have and back that up.

As you described it your original IPC is the RP-32 type (Monochrome small Display) and now you probably have RP-7 (Up to November 2012) or CT. But afaik CT was only used for Focus ST or RS.

I never had a C-max, so i am not familiar with These, but it seems likely Ford would use one of These. The CT IPC has red needles if i remember right, so that should be easy to spot.

The Firmware should be loaded first, then the Pictures and the calibration, but afaik it will still work even if you load them in the wrong order. SO try like:

BM5T-14C026-BBB firmware
BM5T-14C026-ACA Pictures
BM5T-14C026-AFC calibration

and so on...

It should only take a few minutes, well okay the Image file is big, so maybe 30 minutes Maximum, rather less.

I think you can backup the Firmware, but it's prolly easier to just download it from the webserver.
Thanks! very helpful.

The C-max cluster is RP-7. 'Get Info' of the IPC module using foCCCus gave these HW: BM5T-14C226-BE and SW: BM5T-14C026-BL (this should be the firmware file identifier, right?)
What about the picture and calibration files? How to get the identifiers for them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm, yeah BL is very old...

I'd try with BM5T-14C026-BU ,BM5T-14C026-FG,BM5T-14C026-CV... BU introduced the famous and beloved "Quad Screen" which i think isn't the latest update, but definitely the most common and most wanted one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, yeah BL is very old...

I'd try with BM5T-14C026-BU ,BM5T-14C026-FG,BM5T-14C026-CV... BU introduced the famous and beloved "Quad Screen" which i think isn't the latest update, but definitely the most common and most wanted one.
danke schön [thumb]

BL already has the "Quad Screen", may be because it was for C-max.

·
Registered
81 Posts
danke schön [thumb]

BL already has the "Quad Screen", may be because it was for C-max.
Ah yeah, that could be. I just don't know much about the C-Max... But yeah BU is so popular, some People here went to the dealer and paid a hundred bucks to get that Firmware. At least the "BT" Version on the Focus did not have the quad Screen.

Let us know how it worked out for you. If it still makes Problems try to set #27 to just "Trip Computer". But normally the eco-scout is only unavailable for Diesel configurations...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah yeah, that could be. I just don't know much about the C-Max... But yeah BU is so popular, some People here went to the dealer and paid a hundred bucks to get that Firmware. At least the "BT" Version on the Focus did not have the quad Screen.

Let us know how it worked out for you. If it still makes Problems try to set #27 to just "Trip Computer". But normally the eco-scout is only unavailable for Diesel configurations...
Sure, I will tweak a bit if there are problems and keep updated on the result.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sure, I will tweak a bit if there are problems and keep updated on the result.
That'd be great if you could do that! I'll probably try to get the quad screen IPC if everything goes well when you do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:
As a first step, I managed to successfully upload the firmware file (BM5T-14C026-BBB) that's around 1 MB and took about 40 mins.
I was able to configure the ELM adapter to only 38400 (default). Changing to 50000 gave "Can't init ELM" error.

Next would be the pictures file (BM5T-14C026-ACA) which is around 6.7 MB. Starting to wonder about the upload time for this file [80?]

Of course, last would be the calibration file (BM5T-14C026-AFC) around 8 KB, it should be a pretty quick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Update:
As a first step, I managed to successfully upload the firmware file (BM5T-14C026-BBB) that's around 1 MB and took about 40 mins.
I was able to configure the ELM adapter to only 38400 (default). Changing to 50000 gave "Can't init ELM" error.

Next would be the pictures file (BM5T-14C026-ACA) which is around 6.7 MB. Starting to wonder about the upload time for this file [80?]

Of course, last would be the calibration file (BM5T-14C026-AFC) around 8 KB, it should be a pretty quick.
Oh wow, uploading with 38400... That must be slow indeed... I gotta check mine again, but I am very sure i connected with 500K (NOT 50K!!!) baud... I would check if you really can't connect faster before you upload the Pictures, otherwise that must take like hours...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh wow, uploading with 38400... That must be slow indeed... I gotta check mine again, but I am very sure i connected with 500K (NOT 50K!!!) baud... I would check if you really can't connect faster before you upload the Pictures, otherwise that must take like hours...
Yes, please check and let me know how you managed to configure it to a higher value. I haven't tried to upload the pictures file yet, still tweaking the adapter settings for higher speeds [mad]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just checked my Laptop and it seems the 500K was for my Bluetooth one, my USB adaptor also only seems to Support 38400 Baud. Weird, you'd think the wireless one would be slower...

You can check in Windows device Manager, your ELM327 should appear there somewhere while it's disconnected, there you can check (and maybe even set) the Maximum Speed, but as i said - my USB Version also only supports 9600 and 38400 baud... I got one of tehse generic chinese 1.5 adaptors for like 5 bucks. Not sure if there are better ones around, but i guess most of the USB ones around are this model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just checked my Laptop and it seems the 500K was for my Bluetooth one, my USB adaptor also only seems to Support 38400 Baud. Weird, you'd think the wireless one would be slower...

You can check in Windows device Manager, your ELM327 should appear there somewhere while it's disconnected, there you can check (and maybe even set) the Maximum Speed, but as i said - my USB Version also only supports 9600 and 38400 baud... I got one of tehse generic chinese 1.5 adaptors for like 5 bucks. Not sure if there are better ones around, but i guess most of the USB ones around are this model.
Thanks for checking. Wired speeds inferior to wireless!!! definitely weird.

Guess I am stuck until I get another adapter that can operate at 500K (may be a Bluetooth one like yours). Could you post a link to your Bluetooth variant?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts