Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Focus (2000 ZTS w/ 115,000 miles and I believe original shocks) have the rear started sounding horribly recently when I go over speed bumps. This morning I tried to push the rear and see how the suspension reacts and it seemed that the rear shoots back much faster than the front. Also there is that creaking sound when I push the rear as if the suspension is not lubricated well enough. Does that mean that it's time for new rear shocks or can it be something else?

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
The OE shocks/struts are rated at 50,000 miles, so I'd say change them. But unless You're wanting a warranty, I would recommend buying a set of performance (Roush, H&R,Tein,etc.)shocks/sruts/springs and either installing them Yourself or going to a shop to have them install. This way saves literally hundreds of dollars(a $450.00 savings for Me) without compromising on quality products.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i dono if it is true...
i heard if you rock the car, and it will stop in 2 rocks, then the shocks are still good...
if you rock the car, and it will keep rocking for 3-4 mroe rocks, then the shocks are bad...
if you have creaking sound, i think your shocks are leaking...

however, i don know cars too well...
wait for other experts to answer you question,

good luck mate...

Steven

(I am trying to fix my over heat problem as well LOL, hang in there!!)

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, thats pretty accurate, the rocking test.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yeah, thats pretty accurate, the rocking test.

no...its not actually.

to get a true test you need to take the shocks up.

try and depress them yourself...they should go down with some force but not easily and they should rebound fairly quickly. but rocking your car has to do with your spring rates and its not always accurate, because a 16 year old rocking his car is different then a 35 year old body builder doing it.

also are they leaking?

the good rule of thumb is probably 100k

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, so I'm an idiot. It turns out that I forgot to release the e-brake before rocking the car, so all the sounds were coming from e-brake pads touching the drum. Silly me... After releasing the e-brake, no mater how hard I rock the car there would be no sounds. The question remains if I was hallucinating or what when I heard some sounds in the rear of the car while going over the speed bumps. I'll have to try and play with it in the near future.
I still inspected the shocks and they have no oil on them. But they were rusty, so I assume that they are still original. So that is probably something to be replaced sometime.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if you've got the time and effort, take them out and see what happens when you push them down with your hands. if there tough going down, and slower to come up, your good, if it takes little force to push down, and comes up quickly, there shot/on there way out. also, if you decide to do this, feel for any grippy spots with the travel of the shock.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Since you have a ZTS you should have a rear swaybar stock. If I am correct you should try lubing the bushings for it. A lot of squeaks are made by a swaybar whos lube has worn clean.

Also since its a 2000 you should probably replace the shocks anyway.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
dont many of our cars have rear struts, not shocks?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
At 115K miles (if originals) I can guarantee you that the shocks are toast. Replace them sooner than later. If you have no intention of lowering the car some KYB GR2's would be a good OEM replacement shock. For a few dollars more (less than 300.00) you could upgrade to a SVT kit with new shocks, springs, and rear sway bar. This is by far one of the best bang for the buck improvements you can do. The old bounce test is not accurate at all with gas pressurized shocks as some rebound and compression control is maintained for low modulation suspension movement.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
check with mike too. he can get good prices on the FR and svt stuff.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At 115K miles (if originals) I can guarantee you that the shocks are toast. Replace them sooner than later. If you have no intention of lowering the car some KYB GR2's would be a good OEM replacement shock. For a few dollars more (less than 300.00) you could upgrade to a SVT kit with new shocks, springs, and rear sway bar. This is by far one of the best bang for the buck improvements you can do. The old bounce test is not accurate at all with gas pressurized shocks as some rebound and compression control is maintained for low modulation suspension movement.
Nope, I like my car high. And I was thinking about Monroe shocks. How are gas shocks better than regular hydraulic ones?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
All shocks have hydraulic fluid in them. Many now use nitrogen gas to pressurize the fluid to prevent foaming (especially struts). If the fluid heats and foams the shock loses lots of its damping ability. The gas added to the shock minimizes this occurrence. Don't discount the GR2's, I believe you'll find they cost about the same as Monroe's do, and are better quality and should last longer. The SVT springs will only lower the car by a half inch or so but handling is vastly improved. In the long run, the SVT installation is just as easy as the springs have to be removed regardless of what shock/strut you go with.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Nope, I like my car high. And I was thinking about Monroe shocks. How are gas shocks better than regular hydraulic ones?
wow, i found someone else who likes their car high too! lol, thought i was the only one. i love having the clearance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
correct me if im wong, but when doing the "rocking" test, when you push on the back of the car it should fall below normal ride height then go above normal and then settle at normal if it does that then its good, if it goes below-then above-then below - then settle at normal they are bad, if im wrong please correct me.

·
Banned
263 Posts
^ you are correct but that is an OLD test and not always accurate as will probably only give you a bad result when the shock are very bad not going out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.