Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all 4 ignition coils today, all of my old ones look exactly the same so I can’t tell which was bad or if any was bad hopefully it fixed my issue but I won’t know that for maybe a few more days as it never jerked every day. Is there a way to tell if one was bad by the way it looks

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
Not really unless the end is burned on it. Those coils do not indicate like the coilpacks on the earlier ones did. The latter situation is somewhat rare, most coils never really show they are bad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If the problem persists I would check the spark plugs next. Don't break one taking them out. That can happen if they were torqued too hard putting them in. I had a seized spark plug once. Took a couple of days with liquid wrench to get it out without breaking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the problem persists I would check the spark plugs next. Don't break one taking them out. That can happen if they were torqued too hard putting them in. I had a seized spark plug once. Took a couple of days with liquid wrench to get it out without breaking.
Jerking seemed to stop so far but the car is literally 5 times louder then what it originally was and runs even worse

·
Registered
117 Posts
IDK why replacing the coils would make it worse. Unless the new ones are bad, or wrong part. Put the old ones back in and see if they're better. What have you got to lose.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
If you mixed up the harnesses to coils that could do it.

If the coil can be put back in with the plug socket off to one side instead of snapped on with plug in center then that can do it too, don't know if it is possible on COPO but it was on zetecs, put the plug to one side instead of center and it will midfire heavily due to lack of full contact on plug end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts