Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you're cruising down the road with a buddy and you get the overwhelming urge to listen to "Bananna Phone". You roll down your windows, slow the pace and cruise the strip...you insert Raffi's latest killer mix of kids songs and all of a sudden you get the dreaded " CD ERROR" on your audiophile 6 disk.

"NOOOOOOO" how could this be? What evil forces are at work that would possibly want to deprave you and the surrounding pedestrians of this splendid audible sensation? (Not to mention your dearest momma bought that for you last chanuka)

HOW DO YOU GET IT OUT?!!

Some have randomly pushed buttons and sweared at it in just the right way, but when all else fails and you just have to get that Raffi CD , this is what has to be done.

First, go down to WallyWorld and hit their automotive department. You are gonna want a set of these. They only cost like 4 bucks:

Take em out, ram them into the holes on either side of your stereo and push the metal rings outwards towards the sides of the unit while pulling it out.

Now set that beast on a table or workbench, whatever floats your boat....and remove the two small screws from the back of the stereo. Mine had these annoying and extremely small hex screws back there...but a dremmel with a cut off wheel soon made them flathead compatible, lol.

Next lift up the rear of the cover and pop out the tabs on the top/front of the cover.

Now you should be able to see your coveted Raffi CD...you are almost victorious...move in for the kill. See that metal piece across the top of your CD? Dont even trip, its on springs and moves out da way.

Just hook your finger up under there, and gently pull it up towards the top of the stereo...its not all that fragile, so dont be a **** about it. I found that if you turn it upsidedown and give it a little jiggle the cd will fall forward out of the tray:

Now just grab that end and slide it up and out diagonally:

Repeat as neccessary till all your imprisoned cd's are free from that POS.

Once that is done, I recommend taking the stereo to the range and shooting it repeatedly....but if you are broke like me, put the lid back on, plug it in and slide it back into its hole.

You can now rest easy knowing that Raffi is once again back in your posession and all is right in the universe. Go play Bananna Phone on your home system at high volumes and give thanks and praise.

*No cd's were harmed during this rescue.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nice how to. Now I can rescue my spongebob sound track. When I had to remove my HU I did not have the $4 for the removal tool, so I just jammed 4 nails in the holes and it came right out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Haha, great how-to, good read.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:

*No cd's were harmed during this rescue.
No, but I am sure they were pretty scared... [hihi]

Great How-To..
I wish this was done a bit sooner thou. Like when I had this problem. But now I know and will have the guts to try it the next time this happens..

By the way... you got balls for trying on your own... [thumb]

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cant break whats already broke, right? lol. thanks for the props.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
S2 said:
GREAT WORK!!
Added to the HOW TO ARCHIVE! [thumb]
And, I see no reason why we shouldn't just go ahead and "sticky" this one.[;)]
The question gets asked pretty often.

sleestak. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not a problem...glad I could contribute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Disconnect the batt. (speaking from experience) you may short out the unit. I did as soon as I put those prongs in. Got my cd back though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey i have a question. right now i have the audio phile mp3 6 disc changer in my car but i was thinking about taking my Sony xplod CDX-F5700 and having it put in instead of the stock head unit. Would it be worth it? Do you guys think it would sound better than the stock head unit? also if i do how would i hook up the stock amp to it? and also is it possible to hook up the controls on the steering wheel to the sony so i could still turn the volume up and down on the wheel?

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
Ok, I have the Audiophile 6 In-Dash MP3 blah blah blah CD player in my ZX4, my question is about the Auxilary. I want to hook my MP3 player up to avoid getting a CD stuck in it or burning out the CD player from over using it(I really hate silenc and the radio), so will I need a y-adapter(with the red and white) cable or just a single input? It's too cold out to pull the thing out and find I bought the wrong cable.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
To answer AK's question, unless you are going to run an auxilary amp, the sound output decreases mucho. The stock unit sounded a hell of alot better than the Sony I bought a year ago.

·
Registered
367 Posts
InfraRedHB said:
To answer AK's question, unless you are going to run an auxilary amp, the sound output decreases mucho. The stock unit sounded a hell of alot better than the Sony I bought a year ago.
That's because Sony decks suck! My Pioneer blows the doors of my stock deck in power and sound. All for about 250 US.

·
Registered
444 Posts
well i know i put the same SOny in 3 of my past vehicles and it was much louder than the audiophile thats in my car now. Not only that but i can fine tune EVERY THING with it. It the SOny i had in my olds (the one im wantitn to put in my new car) was way the freek louder than my foci and my foci has better speakers (the ones in the 1989 olds 88 royal were stock too) not only that but i plan on dumping the pos stock amp and put my 550 watt in there for the 12 inch sub i just put in.

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
Sadly, when my CDs get stuck after hitting the eject button, I give the top of the deck a soft hit with my hand, and the CD comes out. I hate to do it, but it works. I also don't have to beat on it like I did on my Ford Thunderbird's CD player (which was an OEM Sony [:p]). I used to hit the T-Bird deck like a madman before it would work properly some times. I guess Ford CD players need a little rough TLC.

Anyone ever insert a CD and have it make a rubbing whirling sound as if it's spinning but not being gripped by the rubber on the spindle? I've found that when it does this, just switching to another disc in the deck will solve the problem. Once the other CD is set up to play (whirling sound should stop) in the deck, simply go back to the CD number you just inserted, and it should play correctly now. It sucks we have to figure out tricks to make this deck work properly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
you have inspired me, not only to bring back a personal vendeta against my audiophile, but to finish a project i started a long time ago. So, I removed the face plate (it has another destiny in life now) and took the rest of it to my Army Reserve unit's M203 range. For those of you that might not be familiar with the military, it's basically a grenade launcher attached to a M16 riffle. C.S.I. couldn't put that thing back together!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well the Sony is in and so is the amp and sub and my sony freeken blows the doors off that AudioPhile! only thing i will miss is the 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hehe I got the 6 disc cd changer out and disconnected, now I can't find a hex screw small enough for those screws[???:)]

·
Registered
18 Posts
it worked. 2 discs must have been put in one slot because one of the disc at the bottom was offset, didn't realize these things were so intricate inside. Use your 6 disc CD changers with care!

and as a side note those screws are not hex screws, there star shaped screws used to prevent stripping. I managed to get them off intact with a vice wrench, then pulled the discs out of the front of the device.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts