Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the other day about how to do this and nobody knew so I went ahead and made a how to. This describes how to keep your factory USB and AUX that are in the center console of the MK3 Focus. Please keep in mind that this is the how to for my focus and does not mean that other models with other options will be the same. Please verify that for yourself.

1- Pull the panels from the side of the center console.
2- Locate the 2 plugs.

3- Unplug the factory Mini USB Plug that is located on the passenger side.

4- Plug in your own Male Mini USB and route it up to the aftermarket Head Unit. I used a 3ft long Mini USB to Full size USB cable and it was more than long enough.

5- Unplug the wiring harness that is on the drivers side of the console.
Locate the 3 wires in the harness they will be wrapped together along with an additional wire that is bare.

Here is the general layout of a 4 pole 3.5mm/aux jack

You need at least a 3 pole jack if not a 4 pole. All that radio shack had was a 3 pole or as they called it a stereo jack, so that is what I used.

Here is the layout of a 3 pole jack.

6- Solder wires onto the new aux jack.

Be careful to not use too large of wires or they will not fit. Mine was very close.

Take your new wires and match them up to the factory wires. Solder them together and tape them up. Route the cable up to your new head unit and plug it in.

That is how you retain the factory USB and AUX jack that are in the center console.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also tried to retain the factory microphone for the bluetooth. If anyone has any insight as to why it would not work please help.

The red wire tested to be the brown and the blue to the black.

I wired the brown and black wires up to a mono jack and plugged it into my head unit but when I made a phone call all that the people on the other end heard was clicking. Any advise?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Awesome write up man. Thanks for contributing. [twothumbs][race][ffrocks]

Donno on the factory mic. Aftermarket ones never bugged me.

And FWIW, for the factory AUX connection, you can just buy a regular AUX cable, cut it in half, strip off the insulation and you'll have your 3 wires (left, right and ground). Just in case anyone already has one laying around...versus dumping $2000 at Radio Shack for the connector.[:p]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The reason that I got the connector from radio shack is because the wires in a factory made cable can be really small and therefore hard to work with. Plus the connector was only $5.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How do you get to the USB, i cant find a guide on how to get the center console off. I want to do this so I can have a HDD in the center console for a clean install. Is there a guide perchance?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I am overseas until mid April so I can't check my car to be %100 sure. But if my memory serves me right, the panel on the passenger side near the floor just pops off if you give it a yank or two. But if it is further back than that panel extends then you start removing the center console by taking the trim ring off that surrounds the shift boot. It comes off using a panel tool or a flat head screw driver and pry upward. I don't remember exactly what the step by step is after that though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will give it a shot tomorrow, i find it odd how I cant find any tuts on how to do this, do people not like to retain that USB port? hahaha

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can 100% say that the side panel that runs along the side of the counsel does pop off, very simple, only a few clips holding it on. Replacing the USB was very easy, just had to shave down the one I was plugging in so it fit, threw some heatshrink over it all so it doesn't move.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you use the Metra kit? Im trying to figure out what parts I need. I got the dashkit, and I got the ASWC1. Did you retain the 4.2inch screen?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you use the Metra kit? Im trying to figure out what parts I need. I got the dashkit, and I got the ASWC1. Did you retain the 4.2inch screen?
Yeah I used the Metra kit. I tried using the ASWC1 but I have not been able to get it to function. Yeah I retained the little screen even though it only functions as a clock now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was wondering. Does your head unit have any power issues? my head unit turns on when I open the door. But will turn off within 15sec if I don't start the car. Sometimes I'll start the car and it WILL turn off.

What wire did you use? I clearly picked the wrong accessory wire?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts