Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bumping this one as it hasn't been answered yet.

I've seen varied answers, from just using them to programming by various methods. Do you have a light on for an unknown reason or have wheels sensors been changed?
The light came on. Only 7k miles on car. Still using stock tires and rims. When I do the 2013 sequence nothing happens :(

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Dealer time then at that mileage, could have a bad sensor or system fault if they're pumped up properly.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a 12 Focus --it will easily go to learn but can't get LF ==Tire to learn---let air out no honk---does that mean bad LF sensor? (how do you know which wheel sensor in bad? HELP

·
Registered
2 Posts
TPMS scan tool

I have a 12 Focus --it will easily go to learn but can't get LF ==Tire to learn---let air out no honk---does that mean bad LF sensor? (how do you know which wheel sensor in bad? HELP
You can take the car to a wheel shop where they can use a scan tool to find out if a sensor is bad. Most places will do this for free since it only takes a couple minutes and they can try to sell you on a new sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an issue with the sequence to get into the TPMS training mode (hitting the hazard light button 6 times) in the first post not working on my focus.

I did find a method that worked, I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, did they change it for the newer model years? I have the 1.0L manual, without push button start.

Here's how I did it:

1. Starting with the ignition Off, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position.

3. Press the brake pedal again for about 2 seconds and release.

4. Turn the ignition back to off, then turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position again.

If done correctly the car should honk and you can proceed the same way as the directions in the original post.

Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble getting into the actual training mode.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had an issue with the sequence to get into the TPMS training mode (hitting the hazard light button 6 times) in the first post not working on my focus.

I did find a method that worked, I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, did they change it for the newer model years? I have the 1.0L manual, without push button start.

Here's how I did it:

4. Turn the ignition back to off, then turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position again.

If done correctly the car should honk and you can proceed the same way as the directions in the original post.

Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble getting into the actual training mode.

I have a 2017 SEL and the turning on and off the Hazzards does not work for me either. The above information does work, I am guessing the 2017s dont recognize the flasher button for restting TPMS.

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Great info, i updated the first post to include your quote. Should make it easy for anyone searching for this information to find it right away. Thanks for writing it out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the tool to do this, which method gets the sequence to have horn start on 2016.
This method worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

Mod Edit:
If the above does not work try this (2017+)
I can't get anything of this to work with the Focus MK4 2019 model. It says learn but nothing happens when emptying air in front left Tyre.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You might have to get the garage door opener looking tool

You put the car in training, hold tool by valve stem, press button, it wakes the sensor and causes it to broadcast it's I'd, move to next time

It may be different though, I won't get to see a new focus unless it's imported somehow...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

Mod Edit:
If the above does not work try this (2017+)

·
Registered
2 Posts
my son has a 2017 Ford Focus SE with approx 18,000 miles - the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault is lit up on his dash board (have not gotten new tires). We tried both methods above and horn didn't go. His tires are fine and are holding good pressure - is it ok to drive with this sensor notification on?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep. I have a 2017 ST. I don’t have TPMS sensors on my summer wheels. If you can handle the annoying warning, then all is well.

Make sure you keep an eye on tire pressures since your is no longer doing it for you.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts