Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

Mod Edit:
If the above does not work try this (2017+)
I had an issue with the sequence to get into the TPMS training mode (hitting the hazard light button 6 times) in the first post not working on my focus.

I did find a method that worked, I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, did they change it for the newer model years? I have the 1.0L manual, without push button start.

Here's how I did it:

1. Starting with the ignition Off, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position.

3. Press the brake pedal again for about 2 seconds and release.

4. Turn the ignition back to off, then turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position again.

If done correctly the car should honk and you can proceed the same way as the directions in the original post.

Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble getting into the actual training mode.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

Enjoy!
Whaaattt!!?!? I am so going to try this! I presume you'll need to have driven on the tires a little bit beforehand to "wake up the sensors"?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have to swap my ''all season'' tires for my winter tires this week-end. I will give this a try. Altho I have TPMS on my steelies wich were dealer installed when I got the car in nov 2011, I guess it wont cause no harm to have the old TPMS ''relearning''...just in case.
Where did you found this information btw ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need to drive on them. Just put the wheels/tires on the car. Saw this on YouTube with a guy doing it to an F150 so I thought I would give it a try with my car and it worked like a charm. The TPMS learning tool that I bought from TireRack with my snow tire package didn't work at all, so I started searching the web for answers, and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

Fast forward to about 4:20 for the TPMS part.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
No need to drive on them. Just put the wheels/tires on the car. Saw this on YouTube with a guy doing it to an F150 so I thought I would give it a try with my car and it worked like a charm. The TPMS learning tool that I bought from TireRack with my snow tire package didn't work at all, so I started searching the web for answers, and came across this.
Makes sense! I took my car to the dealer for an oil change last winter and they said they couldn't get my TPMS to register (they're aftermarket) but when I ran over a nail, the screen gave me a different TPMS error than usual which leads me to believe that it was still sending signals once the pressure dropped ~25%.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Where are you storing the summer tires.

Sent from my iPad
It doesn't matter where he stores them, the sensors go to "sleep" within a few minutes of non-motion. Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. This has been discussed at nauseum in the other threads, if you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position to the BCM if you like, but, since our cars do not display separate pressures, doesn't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Enjoy!

why why didn't you post this earlier, I've purchased the TPMS tool for $35 bucks damn it

·
Registered
343 Posts
It doesn't matter where he stores them, the sensors go to "sleep" within a few minutes of non-motion. Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. This has been discussed at nauseum in the other threads, if you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position to the BCM if you like, but, since our cars do not display separate pressures, doesn't make much of a difference.
I keep mine in the garage. If you park near the tires, the TPMS will reset to the signal of the tires each day. If you don't drive more than thirty miles +/- the TPMS light wont come on. Drive more than thirty miles and it will. I drove for 4 months before having to calibrate the winter wheels.
My Brother doesn't even bother with TPMS on his winter wheel package. Drives all winter without having the warning light come on. Guess what? That's right, his summer wheels are in the garage.
By the way the term is "ad nauseum"

·
Registered
360 Posts
By the way the term is "ad nauseum"
Yes, I know, my bad,... but, the sensors will NOT trigger if they are asleep... with no wheel rotation movement, they go to sleep after a few minutes. This is to preserve battery life.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I will find out if this really works on Sunday. [:p]

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This didn't work on my aftermarket TPMS sensors... :-\ I wonder if they're broken or the wrong ones or something. They're definitely TPMS valves, though because the tires shop had to rebuild them or w/e (for free [:)])

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
Registered
360 Posts
This didn't work on my aftermarket TPMS sensors... :-\ I wonder if they're broken or the wrong ones or something. They're definitely TPMS valves, though because the tires shop had to rebuild them or w/e (for free [:)])
I thought that too, I just changed over to my winter rims today in the garage, and I didn't drive the car before attempting to "train" them... tried twice, no dice. So, I decided to go for a short drive (I remember before on my truck when the sensors didn't work on the winters, it took about 15-20km for the warning light to come on). So, after I came back from the drive (the warning light never turned on, since, the winter rim sensors "auto associated" with the car), I tried this procedure again, and voila! It worked, each sensor trained to BCM using this procedure, so now, at least the car knows which wheel is which, not that it really matters, since I will just get the typical "low pressure warning" if any of the 4 goes low. But, I have to say, its cool knowing you can do this without buying a tool. I think the reason it didn't work after swapping out rims is due to the fact that the car's BCM was still associating with the summer rims TPMS, so, I had to "force" it to read the "new" winter rims TPMS, and the easiest way to do that was to go for a drive on the new rims first. Kind of like unpairing an old cell phone and pairing the new one via BT.... LOL. [:D] This procedure also worked on my wife's Escape... cool.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I purchased the ford tpms set from eBay and used the training method mentioned here and it worked like a charm. I never had a warning light of any sorts but did drive about 30 km before training. Got a horn honk at each tire. Worked perfectly. Thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.