Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a huge electrical problem, I'm pretty sure some wires are melted together causing a short.
What do I need to remove to inspect (and eventually replace) the harness for parking light, low/high beam?
i already know how to remove the trims, side panels, ... but I assume I need to remove the dashboard... is that necessary? where do I start?

thanks
will

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I have a huge electrical problem, I'm pretty sure some wires are melted together causing a short.
Describe the symptoms that make you think you have a short. Are fuses constantly blowing? Do you smell burnt plastic? See smoke? If so, when and what lighting functions are affected? All or just some lighting switch positions?

if you do suspect a hard wiring fault, first and foremost, get yourself a wiring diagram specific to your year. A multimeter would be handy too.

Secondly, you'd need to confirm that the short is in the wiring harness itself and not in the headlight receptacles (sockets), switch or connectors. (Corrosion can occur in the sockets.) The wiring should have been protected from damage by fuses. There are several in the Focus; high beam, low beam, left, right as well as hi/lo relays. Knowing which fuse pops first helps isolate the problem circuit.

If for some reason the wiring is truly damaged, the simplest way is usually to trace back the harness from the point of the most obvious damage (melted, chafed or exposed section) until you get to a good undamaged run and then splice in a section from a donor car. If the damage is small enough, a small chunk of the wire can usually be cut out and removed and the ends joined back together.

You shouldn't need to remove the dash.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Be sure to use electronic solder NOT plumbing solder. Electronic solder has lead in it. While there is electronic solder without lead, it is more difficult to use.
Use also shrink tubing over the splice, be sure to place a small dab of RTV over the ends of the shrunk tubing-keeps the moisture out

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was from another thread I started a while back.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266477
"Even when the car is off and the key removed, the parking light and dashboard are lite. I have to remove the headlight switch to turn it off. (the one that controls parking light, headlight and fog light).

This switch is not the issue, I got a used one and the symptoms are the same.

When I put the switch back on the harness, everything used to work: parking, low/high and fog. But now I have NO low beam and no fog light, only high beam and parking light."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few month ago, I had to splice and replace most of the wiring in the back for tail, blinker and stop light. I had a short and instead of really fixing it I used the MacGyver approach and used higher fuses...till the wires melted. so I replaced all that was damaged. Everything in the back works, but I'm guessing when it melted the wires it must have messed up something in the front by the parking/headlight switch too since the parking light would stay on after I repaired the back.
A month later, the low beam stopped working.

Problem is I can't see any more wire broken or melted. That's why I think I need to inspect all the wires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
headlight issue solved, i have high AND low beam, the switch was bad (for high low and turning signal) 40 bux.
Now I need to track down the last my electrical woes, I'm still blowing the fuse for the front and rear right parking light. gonna check the connections in the back leading to the right rear park light.
If i figure it out the last issue to solve will be a the other switch (park, beam, fog). I might just try to find the lead power wire and insert a 2nd switch so that I don't need to remove the whole assembly every time I exit the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts