Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title is a bit misleading, removing your tint will be a little painful, but only the emotional kind, and only if you miss the look, want your privacy back, or hate the sun. Unfortunately, tinted front windows aren't legal in many states. [:(!] If you get ticketed, this is a relatively easy way to avoid paying out to the man.

STEP 1a
The first, and most important step, is to go to walmart and buy a clothing steamer. The one I got is a 'commercial strength' model, and it was $30. I plan to return it after my friend uses it on his civic. Fill the steamer with water, then plug it in to make sure it's working.

STEP 1b (optional)
Hey, you'll already be at the store, and it'll help you get over how much you might miss your darkly tinted windows.

STEP 2

Run an extension cord to your car. I tried using my inverter because I'm lazy, but it wasn't strong enough (1400w steamer).

STEP 3
Roll your window down a bit so that you can get to the edge of the tint. Start at the top, and steam the whole edge for a minute or two to soften up the adhesive.

STEP 4

Using your fingernail or a flathead screwdriver or whatever, push the top edge of the tint down a bit. It should slide down a bit, allowing you to grab the edge and peel it down a bit. (Careful, the window will be wet and HOT.) Keep going, thoroughly steaming the area you want to do next, then slowly peeling the tint off while steaming right on the adhesive.

STEP 5a
Pretty soon you'll be done with the window. Before moving to the next one, check back over your work. You might still have a few small spots of adhesive (if you don't steam an area enough before pulling the tint off). Clean the window using your favorite surface cleaner (I used Widex Vinegar Multi-Surface that we had in the cabinet). If any adhesive is STILL there (I had a few spots on the first window I did, but I was more careful on the other side and didn't need to do this) you can wrap a washcloth around the steamer head, spray cleaner on the window, then wipe off with the hot steamer. This method is a thorough "Ass Kicking" for any residue.

STEP 5b (optional)
Don't forget about your beer! This is one of the rare occasions where drinking in your car will help you AVOID getting tickets. Also, if you are listening to music while you work (recommended), you'll find an annoying noise when you move to the drivers' side. Fix it with a penny. I've used ink pens in the past, but trust me, that can get really messy if you forget about it and close the door [xx(] !

STEP 6
Take pictures of your finished work, and die a little inside when you look at them. I'm not really too upset anymore, the car still looks good IMO, I'm just annoyed that I had to do it.

Suggestions for recovering:
Daydream about how much more awesome your car is going to be in a week-and-a-day when you install your new lightweight aluminum flywheel, southbend rally clutch, torsen t2 atb diff, and an OEM headgasket so you can get your c/r back to 10.2:1 (and finally see what potential that eaton m62 really has [woot] [driving] ).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I wish you would have written this 6 months ago before my brother and I took all the crappy purple tint off his mustang, instead it was razor blades and rubbing alcohol for us, fortunatly for him it was so he could put new tint back on, its sad you had to remove it, on the bright side however your car still looks good.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
lol kinda funny i was thinking today of how i would go about removing my tint if i ever wanted/had to....nice write up, looks like it works really well...also good trick with the penny, im always looking for various objects to make that thing shutup

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
dang i didnt know how easy it was to remove tint. i could have saved 55 dollars when i redid my front windows darker. good write up

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
20%FTW and 50% to windshield soon! and if i do get caught i will do this to get it off!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unfortunately, I had to remove my front tint today. I followed this write-up step by step, minus the beer, and I am happy to say that it worked great.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
20%FTW and 50% to windshield soon! and if i do get caught i will do this to get it off!
You won't last a year. You might if you lived in some remote area in the U.P. Not even an hour after crossing the Mackinac bridge into Mackinaw City, I was approached by a Michigan Trooper about my window tint, as he was heading to breakfast. I told him I was from CO, the tint was legal there, and he could check my plates. He did and then went on his way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think tint laws are stupid, really. Just like headlight height laws. It's ok for SUV's and trucks to have limo tint in the back windows, or to have no windows at all. But for a car, not only can you not have dark tint in the front, there is a limit to the tint darkness in the back. Why?

Some cops I have heard say it is a safety issue so that passengers cannot be harbouring guns and whatnot without being seen. But that's stupid, cuz it would seem you could much more easily do that sort of thing in an SUV than a car, but it's legal on an SUV, yet not on a car.

Same way requiring that driving lights be lower than a certain height on cars so as not to blind on-coming traffic, yet stupid SUV stock headlights are already at eye level to most cars and I am constantly blinded by those stupid SUV headlights, yet there's no law against their stock headlight level.

If I were king, the only tint laws I would have is no tinting the front windshield, and I would allow tinting the fronts up to 15% (you can still see out them at night), but have no limit on how dark the rears are (which is already what SUV's are able to do); you have to be able to see where you're going. That's all that matters. If they're gonna band dark tint on passenger cars for cop safety so they don't get shot at by gun-toting idiots, then why do they let SUV's have tint in the back? Just seems stupid.

I live in Washington State. oddly, considering this is NOT a sunny place, I would have to say I notice about 70% of people who have tint here have limo 5% tint on. I used to have 5% tint, and have never gotten pulled over. It's so common here in WA that I doubt most cops bother pulling someone over for just tint. And most of the folks here that I see have it are middle/upper class folks, not ricers or racers or gangsters or anyone else that would stereotypically be profiled as being a suspicious looking vehicle. Oddly, most of the horror stories about being pulled over for tint seem to come from sunny places like Cali where dark tint SHOULD be legal, imo, since it's so dang sunny and hot there.

This is a STUPID law.

My one concession, however, is that when I did have 5% tint, at night I had to roll down my windows just to check my blind spots when changing lanes, cuz at night time 5% tint is pretty much like painting your windows black. you can't see worth crap at night. Ergo my belief in NO TINT for the windshield, up to 15% for the fronts, and no limit on the rears. Elect me King and I will make it so.

·
Registered
854 Posts
steamer works great but if its really bad and doesnt want to come off you can use a lil water/ammonia mixture in the steamer and it works even better just be sure to clean up well or it will smell, but it works great on old stubborn tint

1 - 17 of 17 Posts