Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I need to adjust the hand brake in my MK1, and I find it extremely difficult to remove the centre console to get access to the nut that tightens the cable.
I was wondering if anyone have an idea how to easily remove the console.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can loosen the screws and the consol, but it doesnt give access to the nut, it is placed so far back that it seems to only solution is to completely remove the consol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the above link tuxtanium. I have taken a couple of pictures of the hand brakes that shows how far I can get close to it, but I am still not able to see and reach the nut.
Does anyone have a clue of where it is lied? It should be 10 mm nut to tighten the cable, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced my handbrake with an SVT leather one and what i found was there is a screw under each cupholder and in the back of the console there is a circle and square cupholder squeeze the piece in the middle and gently pull upwards pulling it free.There are 3 bolts holding the back of the console undo them and then wiggle the console upwards and it should pull free.It will be tight between the seats but be gentle and take your time.after that you have complete access to the shifter and emergency brake handle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DEzetec thanks for the reply.
After I remove those 3 screws the console can easily move back and forth, but its a hell of a job to remove it out. Its almost impossible to take it upwards, I give it a try again.

From the previous link that tuxtanium provided, I can see the hand breaks nut in my car is not placed as its shown in the picture, have any idea why it is so?

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way i should add i have a 2000 zx3 manual transmission.Depending on your year and model your console may be slightly different.If you need more help or would like some pictures i would be glad to help you out just let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will post some as soon as i can, aslo you can try this.there is a metal clip covering the nut for the adjustment.rock the ends of the clip up and down while pulling up and the clip will eventually come off.that should give you access.it might be a little tight but you should be able to get in there.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
to get the console completely off you have to reef up on the ebrake to get it as vertical as possible then lift the consle at the back over the ebrake and it will come off no problem

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tuxtanium,
I tried removing the metal clip as its shown in the picture and you mentioned it, but it is impossible, it seems as if there is a screw on top of it that goes inside the nut and which is hard to move, even with pliers. When setting a finger under the metal clip it feels as if there is a nut under it, and am not sure whether it is safe to completely remove it or not.
It seems odd that a nut is protected with a metal shield, is there a reason for it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The clip jams in the threads of the stud so that the nut cannot back itself off. If you pry the tangs of the clip away from the stud, it will come off and you can tighten the nut beneath it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When the hand break is down the clip seems to be loose and a ring or a nut that is underneath it is loose too, and after turning it clockwise for tightening it just moves on and on without making any changes to the cable. The clip remains in its position as it was.
After pulling the hand break upwards the clip gets tighten and no result is obtained.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Two screws under front cup holders
One screw in storage tray above rear upholder
The rear screw is toughest to get to--it's under a little plastic button.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its easy to remove the screws but the console is almost impossible to remove to get full access to that area.
A short way to reach the cable was already shown by tuxtanium, but that metal clip can not be removed. While hand break is down the O-ring that is beneath that metal clip is loose and once the hand break is raised gets tight, I just can't see any nut that could be used for tightening. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts