Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2013 SE for about 2 months now. It was something of a project based on the condition it was in when I got it. It was an off lease car that the dealer bought at auction and had most of the negatives that make you decide to look at a different car.

The negatives were:
- Auction vehicle
- Car had minor body damage - needed front left fender and some work to driver door which the dealer addressed.
- Smoker car
- Dirt Road car

The positives were:
- Manual Transmission
- Enough options to almost make it a Titanium
- Only 47,000 miles on the odometer.
- Price was right.

So I've been through most of the updates the car needs and there is one thing bugging me. I'd like to clean up the dash vents. I can see a fair share of dirt and dust in them and would actually like to dunk the vents themselves in an ultrasonic cleaner.

My question is this - does anyone know what is involved to take them off? I've been able to get the far right one to lift up at the base and a little at the top but cannot get it free from the duct for fear I'm going to break something. Dirty and in place is better than clean and a bigger issue to deal with.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm attaching a youtube video I used to do this, it's not my video so credit to the owner. You do pry the outer vents out from the bottom a fair amount before you'll find resistance. I had this discovery myself. What you need to do is remove the triangle trim panel that's on the right side between the passenger dash and the passenger door. To do this, I wedge something long and soft plastic, I think I used a ruler, to push out the clips retaining that piece. Once you remove that piece, there's a single T25 (Could be wrong about this size, but its one of the smaller star pattern bolts) bolt that screws the vent piece in place.

I removed my passenger vent last month so this is a topic I'm fresh with. I haven't removed my driver side vent but its essentially the same concept with the addition of your light and trunk release buttons. You'll have to unclip the wire harness there.

The reason why I removed my side vents and center console was to install interior accent lights in the vents. There's one person I know who's done this on a MK3 Focus and I've been planning out how I'm going to do it. I think I'll have to dremel out a small recession so that the wire can escape through the AC seams. If anyone wants to help make suggestions for this I'd appreciate it!

Here's the video:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts