Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i did it once, and damn i couldnt rememebr to tell you now how i did it, it was a pain though

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here you go... sa_pyro_ne

I have just about every focus manual you could think of including the 2 Ford FACTORY service manuals that the dealership uses to work on the cars..

****BEFORE STARTING THIS DISCONNECT THE (-) NEGATIVE LEAD to THE BATTERY!!****

If the stock radio is there just bend two coat hangers into a U shape and use them as removal tools placing them into the holes on the sides of the Radio. Push them in until you here a snap, then place LIGHT!! Pressure outwards and pull the radio out of the dash. Once the radio is out, disconnect the antenna lead and the harness for the radio.

Now pull The knobs off the HVAC Unit... (THIS MAY SEEM STRANGE!!) The two knobs on the passenger side, speed of the blower and the directional knob come off real easy.. The temperature knob is on a spring clip. Grab it with a small pair of pliers and give a nice easy tug and you will get it off. This won't hurt it, I have done it on several cars... Just go slow and you will be fine. Once that’s off you can unscrew the whole thing from the plastic shroud (LEAVING ALL THE CORDS AND LINES INTACT ON THE UNIT!!!) and set it easy in the dash.

Once that's finished, locate the screws in the edge of the bezel that you just took the radio out of. With them out, give a gentle tug on the bezel and it will slide right out. Now pull the wires off the lighter socket and then use a flat blade screw driver to release the socket and the green colored shell from the bezel.

Installation is the reverse of what you just read...

I hope this helps you and if you need any further information, drop me a line.... I'll help you as much as I can...

[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Focus~Racer!!

Your instructions worked great for me - my Focus has been "handed down" to my daughter and it's been annoying that the lighter socket is so deep that we had to jam the cell phone charger in there extra hard to get a connection. It finally quit working, so I replaced it with a $7 lighter unit from Radio Shack.

The only thing I should add to your instructions is that "use a flat blade screw driver to release the socket" didn't work for me. What did was to take an X-Acto knife and separate the metal from the green shell all the way around, then the metal popped out of the green and the green could be twisted and removed from the bezel.

Thanks for taking the time to post the step-by-step instructions - couldn't have done it without your help!

Roadsideboy2

·
Registered
18 Posts
that's great and all, but how do you take the cigarette lighter off the bezel for a 2005 ford focus zx5 model? Inorder to take the radio out you have to pop the bezel out, The Cigarette lighter does not have a green green, which attaches it to the bezel. I do not know how I would take it off other then breaking it off. I do not want to do that so if anyone knows please do tell and show some photos if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's ok everyone I figured out a way to do it. Since I probably had to replace it anyways. I went ahead and broke the darn thing off. I still am not sure how I was supposed to take it off. I guess when I get my new pieces I will figure it out then. Cost me 31 bucks to replace the cig/power outlet and the black ring/housing it was in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts