Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
No Mo Fo Fo
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a how-to on removing, painting and installing the chrome accent piece on the gear selector on the Ford Focus 2008-2011. I had already done this to see if it would work thus the reason mine is black. I used Krylon for plastic, (opt. Kyrlon clear coat,) and a 3/16X3 flathead to pry.

Removal
Step1. Set E-brake, turn car one slot before ignition and put vehicle in Low. Reason being it give you the most room for the following steps.

Step2. Wedge flathead or similar device under front portion of piece and pop it up.

Step3. Pull up on entire piece; if you just grab and yank it will break.

This is what it looks like without the peice

Painting

I just cleaned the piece, and two coat black (Opt. and two coats clear let dry.)

Installation
Step1. MAKE SURE IT IS DRY
Step2. Insert bottom portion of piece in to handle
Step3. Once you get the bottom in smack the top to get the clip to engage.

It’s a really simple and inexpensive mod, go have fun, you can figure it out.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for this step-by-step of the removal ... the way I was thinking to do it, I think I would've broken something ... lol

·
No Mo Fo Fo
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So thats where I saw it... I saw a FOFO the other day and I thought they painted it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
nevermind that last question haha... could I use blue latex brush on paint as opposed to krylon for plastic spray paint?

·
No Mo Fo Fo
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nevermind that last question haha... could I use blue latex brush on paint as opposed to krylon for plastic spray paint?
I have no idea, I just had Krylon on hand so thats what I used, but I guess anything oghta work.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
It turns out you can dip chrome plated plastic in bleach and it strips off all the chrome, and there's a chance that there could be shiny black plastic underneath like on the Mach HID lights. There's a thread about it in the first gen forums.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Eh, Im gonna wait and see someone else do that last mentioned method because once you take off the chrome there's no going back!

·
Registered
495 Posts
My chrome strip is now silver, matching the rest of the silver on the center stack and center console [:)]

Thanks again for giving us this idea [clap]

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
so to strip the chrome off using bleach, do you have to dunk the whole part in or can you just wipe it on/off, this could be a nice way to de-chrome the grill.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
so to strip the chrome off using bleach, do you have to dunk the whole part in or can you just wipe it on/off, this could be a nice way to de-chrome the grill.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270335

I tried wiping a chrome spray paint cap with a bleach soaked rag and just to see for myself, and it works, dunking it in bleach probably would be instant.

What I like about it is that you dont need to worry about a bad spray job or paint chipping; and if the plastic isnt black then just paint it like you would anyway.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here is the thread (it's the same exact grill): http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161006

A simpler explanation (I've probably removed the grill about 20 times since I bought the car a year ago):

1. Remove the four expansion plugs on the topside of the grill (labelled as "push pins" in the picture below)
2. Disengage the two catches on the bottom (I use a long flathead screwdriver to pry in between the bumper cover and the grill)
3. Pull the grill forward and out, away from the engine bay. I pull one side at a time until I hear it pop out.

A picture of where the catches are on the grill underside:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Awesome, thanks man! I assume you bleached your grill before painting it?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nope. I've painted my grill 4-5 times, and the winning combination was: scuff (400 grit) -> prime x2 -> paint -> clear coat.

By the way, I can tell you (because I've completely sanded off the surface) that underneath the chrome is an off-white/gray plastic. Yours might be a different color (who knows), but mine wasn't black underneath.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thank you! That saves so much time looking for the how-to's!! Nice car by the way man!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts