Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to reach with my stock focus zx3 2.0 180 hp. I go to school so my salary aint all that much but i love focuses. What mods what i have to do for a cheap price to reach 180 hp?
Also i like to fix up cars and i love them i need to choose a career and i was woundering if you guys knew any job that i could go to college and study it and it have to do with suping up cars? thanx

[thumb]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Nitrous. You can get a 50 shot for about $1000 plus labor and maybe some other safety devices so you don't blow your engine. This will get you 180hp at the crank and about 160hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Are you talking about at the engine or the wheels, they are different?

Btw since you are on a budget, both will be hard to do, how much do you think you will be able to spend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your looking for a career in the auto industry try contacting someone at uti. they have a campus in chicago that has dealer specialty programs and a program called hot rod u. if you want to get to 180 wheel hp youll need to put in a lot of money b/c parts arent cheap. nitrous, as mentioned earlier is the fastest way to get your car going fast but its caustic and can screw up your engine. just save your money, be patient and buy a turbo, supercharger or the parts for a nice n/a setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well about the hp at the engine or wheel whats the diference. and about how much money like 3500 on engine parts

·
Registered
732 Posts
horsepower at the engine is measured at the flywheel, they find that by using a engine dyno. horsepower at the wheels is well measured at the wheels, you find that by using a chassis dyno. horsepower at the wheels also known as WHP is going to be less then horsepower at the engine known as BHP (block horsepower) the zetec rates a a bhp of 130hp but actually has a WHP from 100 to 115 (115 isn't common though) 108 is though. More people focus on the horsepower at the wheels.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
We focus on the wheel horsepower because its the most common way for a car owner to measure his power increase from his modifications.

$ 3500 is a good budget you can get an intake, throttle body, underdrive pulley, race header, flexpipe, cat back exhaust system, cam gears, cams and a chip and dyno tune all for about $ 2500 and have enough left over for other mods. With those parts you can make 145-150 whp and 135-145 wtq

You could also get some suspension components like lowering springs and struts and shocks for around $ 400-500

If you want to drag race a set of cheap wheels like stock steelies or some rota slipstreams and a set of drag radials for under $ 500

That way you will make nice power and at the track run high 14's.

What kind of racing are you into?

PM me if you want to know the particulars on what parts are better than others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
btw id your looking for an automotive school try wyotech.com thats where im currently attending. there 3 campus WY, PA, CA some of the course are auto tech, collision, hot rod, high performance engines, trim, disel. how its helpful and good luck!

·
Registered
732 Posts
ikknown said:
btw id your looking for an automotive school try wyotech.com thats where im currently attending. there 3 campus WY, PA, CA some of the course are auto tech, collision, hot rod, high performance engines, trim, disel. how its helpful and good luck!
jw, when u graduate from wyotech? do u just get a certificate?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I put down 149whp and 139tq on less than 2k. Intake/exhaust crower II's and a few other various boltons. With another 700 for a ford racing head with a little home port/polish and then get crower III's instead of th II's and also milled .070 to raise compression to about 11:1, you could get close, probably more around 170-175 all on stock internals. I think if i had it to do all over again i could pull it off. right now the current engine project is 200whp but it's about 5k budget just on the engine. rods/pistons all forged and fuel management adds up really fast.

If i were you, and was on a budget I'd get a short ram intake, header/flex/catback, a 50shot of nitrous (nx can be had for 500 bux, dunno where the 1000 came from) and a good set of tires. That'd put you at about 130 whp and 180 on the bottle. Nitrous is fun stuff but you gotta know what you're doing or majorly bad things can happen. Wish you could see my garage. haha

g

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
mr.squatch said:
I put down 149whp and 139tq on less than 2k. Intake/exhaust crower II's and a few other various boltons. With another 700 for a ford racing head with a little home port/polish and then get crower III's instead of th II's and also milled .070 to raise compression to about 11:1, you could get close, probably more around 170-175 all on stock internals. I think if i had it to do all over again i could pull it off. right now the current engine project is 200whp but it's about 5k budget just on the engine. rods/pistons all forged and fuel management adds up really fast.

If i were you, and was on a budget I'd get a short ram intake, header/flex/catback, a 50shot of nitrous (nx can be had for 500 bux, dunno where the 1000 came from) and a good set of tires. That'd put you at about 130 whp and 180 on the bottle. Nitrous is fun stuff but you gotta know what you're doing or majorly bad things can happen. Wish you could see my garage. haha

g
This is some poor advice you gave him, yes a nitrous kit is only around $ 500 but when including other safety devices it can run up closer to $ 1000.

Folks who run out and buy $ 500 nitrous kits are also the ones you see having problems, becuase they didn't plan well enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nitrous is more for track use so unless you race at the track theres no point in getting it.
really? i was thinking of getting nitro b/c i have pretty much exhausted all other possibilities. i want decent acceleration and still retain everyday driving capabilities. i think that nitro does this b/c it only kicks in @ upper rev limits,; no? i have put on all required things, and was looking for my next big step. i think i saw that Venom had a focus kit for $1600 that included bottle heater, remote opener etc. pretty much had all the safety stuff ya mentioned. i really would like ur opinion of what my next step should be. i really don't want a $2500 turbo setup and want something easy to install and low maintinence. :- )
[driving]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
focaltech said:
This is some poor advice you gave him, yes a nitrous kit is only around $ 500 but when including other safety devices it can run up closer to $ 1000.

Folks who run out and buy $ 500 nitrous kits are also the ones you see having problems, becuase they didn't plan well enough.
Actually, pretty much any car that puts out 100+ whp can handle a wet 50 shot with little to no other safety items that don't come with a kit. I've never seen a car blow up on a 50 shot. My advice is sound, i addressed safety concerns and alternatives. Don't mean to piss in your pool, but i'm one who won't open my mouth if the info coming out isn't legit.

Nitrous does not kill foci, timing does. And with just a 50 shot, timing does not become an issue.

Venom is a good kit, but overpriced imo.

just to clarify, the ONLY safe nitrous setup is one with multiple redundant safety systems (oil pressure safety switch/fuel pressure safety switch/wot switch/rpm window switch/etc) and to keep from breaking non-engine items, a progressive controlled setup is the only way to go. 50 shot can be run reliably with no complications or timing mods, to be safe keep the octane at 91+ to compensate for any potential detonation. 75 shot wet can be run pretty safely also with no timing, but 93+ octane is a necessity and there are a lot more things that can go wrong. Anything over that needs to have timing/fuel issues addressed. No doubt about it.

I successfully ran 75 for a year with no problems with no safety system other than wot switch, but I know what nitrous is, what it can and can't do and what the potential for problems are. Kids jumping into a car with nitrous without proper knowledge are the ones who "have problems." I preach safety above all else, I always have a backup engine/car, but most ppl do not. Blowing your only mode of transpo is no fun at all.

Be safe, learn before you try and you'll be aok.

g

1 - 19 of 19 Posts