Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I want to do my mirror caps but ran into a problem. I went to oreillys to get the duplicolor to match my car. They have a guide that shows all the color codes. It appears they only make the color to match my car in the touch up paint and not in the spray paint. Anyone know how I could get my color in spray form? My car is Pueblo Gold. I think the code is G3.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
so the spray paints we buy from Auto stores and they match the body of the car? For example, an Infra-Red color focus and a duplicolor spray paint are the same?

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
Can someone provied alittle more detail on the cap removal, I just worried about cracking the mirror or retaining clips. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i done mine today. i was a little sketchy about taking them off because of the mirror. but it came off easily. just wait till its dark and get a flash light and a skinny flat head screw driver and you can see the clips behind the mirror. i took one off while it was light and it was kinda hard to see behind the mirror but the other i took off at night and it took like 5 seconds to get it off, lol. i'll post up some pics of mine soon. i didnt use dupli color on mine. i just got some rustolium metalic paint. i have a cd silver car so it seems to match pretty good. can i get the exact color of the cd silver in a rattle can?

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
here are some pics of mine. [:D]

have to love living in Arkansas... that is a wasp nest that is in my mirror. that was a nice surprise

before sanding. sanded with 220 then 1000 and some 2000

·
Registered
312 Posts
Duplicolor doesnt have a match for french blue. any other possible solutions? Great info by the way. I'm thinking if i did it on the weekend I could do the door handles and door molding as well, and be ready to go by monday.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I am currently in the process of doing this. I am on the third coat of color as of right now. Waiting on it to fully dry before putting on the clear coat. I really hope it comes out looking good. This it my first time painting something like this [eek] [eek]

Ill post pics when they're reinstalled.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ok, some question from someone that has no experience what so ever with painting any thing on the car.
First:
1. Which sand paper should I used? Any specs for the sand paper? Do you get it at the regular hardware store?
2. How do you do the wet sanding? Is that a different sand paper?

I will look into getting the material for this project. Anyone know the code for cloud 9 white?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I just painted mine. I did everything but the clearcoat yesterday. Then when I got home from work, I wetsanded them with 2000 grit sandpaper. Sprayed a very light coat of clearcoat....let it dry, sprayed a thicker second coat, let it dry longer than the 1st, wetsanded, sprayed a nice thick 3rd coat...done! They turned out awsome.....I just gotta wait for them to dry now.

whitese:
1. Make sure the sandpaper says wet/dry. You cant wet sand with regular sandpaper. I recommend you use at least 1500 grit sandpaper, but I used 2000 grit to get it extra smooth. You can get it at most autoparts stores, and some hardware stores.
2. To wetsand, you first make sure the paint or clearcoat is thoroughly dry. Then you let the sandpaper soak in water for a minute. Next, while keeping constant water on it, you sand it nice and easy....not too rough, making sure water is running on where you are sanding the whole time. The point of this process is to make it smooth, and get rid of any imperfections. Don't sand too long either, you arent trying to sand a layer of paint off afterall. Hope this helps!

41 - 60 of 162 Posts