Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
PhilMayfield said:
Looks hot, especially without the amber turn signal bulbs.
Yah man, looks good!

Its well worth the time it takes to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
anyone thought of going to a junk yard and picking up a spare set? then using brute force(aka power tools) to cut the lenses out so you dont get yellowing effect. of course i guess maybe the cost would be up so much could just by some predone. thoughts? ive been thinking of doing this. just cant seem to get the wife on board. she wont let me use the oven. afraid im gonna burn the house down or something.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I dont know about a yellowing effect. I did get a very very slight chameleon effect, not noticible at all. By the time I got to the second light I had it opened after the second oven set (15 mins at 300).

I initially had fears about putting a headlight in an oven, but seriously it will be fine. First time I put it in the oven I stood there and watched it through the window just in case, it was fine and I just went about my business the next few times. What I did, in case I messed something up, was I bought a spare off eBay so I wouldnt mess my regualar ones up, and "practiced" on that one to make sure I could do the mod. It worked flawlessley and now I have a spare unpainted headlight laying around, I should prolly sell it, no more need for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was nervous about putting my lights in the oven as well. I did 300 degrees for about 18-20 mins with no visible damage at all. I guess the lenses are made for some heat after all they get pretty warm with the bulbs on i'm sure. Now if we could just get someone to release some [email protected] projectors we could all quit acting like the Betty Crocker of light fixtures. A pic of my lights is featured in my gallery now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive had mine for quite awhile and the only problem ive had with them is the driverside headlight fogs up in heavy rain, but unfogs in less than 5 mins. And the only reason it fogs up is user error... I apparently didnt "caulk" it enough, but meh it was a first try on a cheap pair.

Very happy with the results, I am thinking of modding my other set and doing some led lighting effects within the housing. Wouldnt that be badass?

And ive had no problems with "yellowing" or "crow's feet" on my lens's, they are super clear.
Although im not sure what a regular halogen bulb would do to the lens.
I am sporting hid retrofit bulbs which run a lot cooler than halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
that is hot... i gotta get around to this

·
Registered
367 Posts
OK I'm doin' this $hit! Looks great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Almost done! I think someone said this before but I'm sayin' it again. Those bolts inside the fender were a biatch. Here's a pic of them painted, I'll post agian when there in.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
They are now back together; I got to wait an hour or so before I put them back in.

On another note I just finished reading this entire thread and I think I have something meaningful to add. I t seems that some of you are have a great deal of difficulty getting your lights apart, I to had great difficulty getting the first one apart. But then it only took me one heating at 220 to get the second one apart and unlike most of the people that have posted there results I will tell you how to get them apart with great speed.

Firstly more then 220 degrees is not needed. Leave it in for 15 minutes at 220 and when you take it out start prying it from the top middle to the inside point. Pry hard until you can pop open just the inside point of the light, then simply grab it on those to parts front and back and pull that biatch open!

I hope that this will make it easier for those attempting this mod then it was for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Done. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread especially the thread starter Heeltoe.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
foKuZEe3 said:
well dont mean to post again, but dif day so...Just wanted to say it was a piece of cake. Real easy to do and saved some extra cash. looks good. The only problems I had was trying to convince the wife to let me put my head lights in her oven, but they turned out good even she liked them. A++ on the tip thanks
Yeah, I could hear that one....

"Trust me honey, they'll be HAWT!"
"Yeah, hot as in burn your ass hot, are you mental?"
"Aw honey, all the guys on Focus Fanatics are doing it."
"Oh, this is what your mother taught you huh??"
"No baby, it's a good modification and doesn't cost anything."
"No cost? What about gas? Do you think it just comes out for free???"
"Um, well yea."
"Why you (*^(^%&$#[email protected]#%$#)(%^*$$#@!"
"What were we talking about again?"

[:D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok my question is... i did this and was at the step where i had the headlight ready to be put in the oven. What do you do with the wires inside the headlight??

·
Registered
580 Posts
Leave the wires, they'll be fine

·
Registered
14 Posts
WOW!! they look AWSOME ...... it looks difficult , but i would sure pay you if you'd do it for me man....wow once again....good job!!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
sorry to bring this back up, but i'll be doing this in the next few days to my '01.

my question is...there shouldn't be any problem with diff. plastic and melting/yellowing or crow's feet issues, correct? anyone with pre-05 got any advice?

161 - 180 of 367 Posts