Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ok, need some advice from anyone who has done the headlight mod. I'm about to pop my headlight into the oven but what about the wiring harness that connects to the main headlight bulb? Just leave that in there (since I don't see a way to take it out) and it should be ok up to 300 degrees? I'm assuming it will be since I haven't seen anyone say anything else about it. Still nervous popping my whole headlight into the oven, wish me luck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
BUMP

·
Registered
649 Posts
the wires will be ok in there. here's a pic of the effect the heat had on my clear plastic. Not too terrible, looks a little funny, but the light still shines forward normally. When the headlight is off it's not nearly as noticable, only shows up when light or sunshine hits it a certain way.

If you look really closely at the third pic, you can see the effect is a little worse on the passenger side. That's the light I did first and heat-cycled so many times. Heating fewer times at 300* helped reduce that, since the driver's side isn't as bad.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i did my several months ago just thought i would post them up for your eye's pleasure! :-D

sorry for the bad glare on the last pic. its my wonderful high quality camera phone!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow, both look great. I'm still in the process of trying to pry my first light apart, ugh! It'll be worth it in the end though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Still trying, this is a pain in the ass. Going to try it today once the fiance goes to work, 300 for 20 mins should do it hopefully, I had been doing 250 for 10 minutes and I achieved the effect of kinda seperating the sealant from the lens but no seperation of the lens itself, I was able to rip off some of the sealant though, keep trying.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Whew ... finally got the SOB off. Not too hard today, 1 cycle of 300 at 15 mins, pryed the bottom and the rest of the cover came off. Now its all sanded, taped off, and ready to go to paint next.

Next question though, I was able to remove most of the stubborn old black seal from around the clear cover, is it absolutely necessary I remove all of the old seal before I silicone it back together?

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
yes, you want to get most of it out, so you don't have any gaps, thats lets moisture in....and don't be like me. Wear gloves so you don't get those fingerprints inside the lenses...once I got prints of that new silicone in it, it would not clean like it was.........

and enjoy the chameleon look when the lights are not on, its sweet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you guys find a glossy black or a satin black looks better. I am thinking about going with either flat black or satin black on my cd silver?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did glossy and it looks amazing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well I ended up going with a satin black and it came out great. They look as if they were oem parts. One of my favorite mods so far.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used the Krylon Fusion gloss black, and it came out looking more like a satin black color. I was going to throw a few coats of clear gloss on it, but the satin finish really lookes nice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PlutoJared22 said:
I used the Krylon Fusion gloss black, and it came out looking more like a satin black color. I was going to throw a few coats of clear gloss on it, but the satin finish really lookes nice.
Thats what I did, same result. Looks good [thumb]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Finally got my headlights done! Man that third bolt was a pain in the ass to get off! Anybody not put it back on b/c it was such a pain? I left it off. Anyway how do the lights look? Sorry for the poor quality photos, parents camera, onto the photos...

141 - 160 of 367 Posts