Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
blight0x said:
Why is there such a problem with the headlights? They are pretty easy to get out.
I agree

It was time consuming but still very easy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you follow HeelToe's right up step for step you will have NO problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i might be on to something here-why not use a pair of clear side markers as a test.thay are sealed the same way the front lamps are and if you mess up on these its only a few bucks to replace-i read and read all of the info on here-while very informative i still was a bit unsure-so i took out my side markers heated up the edges with a heat gun and just used a screw driver to pry the seals apart-this worked great so i traied the same with the lamps and ill be damn if it didnt work as well-just heet up the seal REALLY GOOD and start at the lower corner-let me know what u guys think

·
Registered
489 Posts
DONT USE A HEAT GUN on your headlights. From experiance i recommend that you do not use a heat gun because it only heats small patches of plastic and sealent and you end up really messing up the plastic. Its much better if you use the oven to Heat EVERYTHING.

Daddio69 your heat gun may have worked on the small little corner marker.. but it doesnt work very well for the head light. I got my first headlight apart that way and it looked like shit. The second head light i put in the oven and it was 100 times easier and looked a piss load better.

my 2 cents

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
hey man,,if i can figure out how to show pics i will,,i completed this addition to my headlights...they look awsome...took me like 7 and a half hrs of work to get them done..hard work..but they look awsome..i wanted to do it for awhile but just did not want to take the time to do it...but i was bored and they just looked so plain...now there hot,,painted to match color of my car...looks like there tinted now..but let me tell everyone,,u really dont understand how much work this is till u do it,,the only real hard part was getting the lens off the houseing...and then once u do,,u got to get all the sealer off the lens and then off the houseing,,but its a good upgrade to do...thanks man for making me get off my butt and do it...lol,,bought lowering springs,,waiting till next weekend to install them...check me out later.....http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=76552375

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ok. I finally did it. I just got done painting my headlights. I was sitting on this idea for about three months now, and today I figured, since I had nothing to do, I would give it a shot. Ok everything was very easy, untill I got to removing the clear plastic from the housing. That silicone they put on these headlights is very hard to remove. I found a pretty good method that worked for me. I did the first one in an hour and a half, and the second one I did in 35 minutes after finding out my method. Also removing the silicone from the pieces after they are apart is also very time consuming. So after 6 and a half hours i'm done and I'm waiting for the silicone to cure. Will post pics later after the lights are back on my car

·
Registered
450 Posts
I first was trying to take all the silicone off the lens and housing, but I figured out that you have to stick the screwdriver in between the clear plastic and the black housing and pry it apart. I only had to heat the headlamp up twice to remove the plastic. The first headlamp I heated up about 5 times.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Anyone know if you can make your headlights vent any better? I'm afraid if I paint my headlights, the black paint will absorb too much heat from the Hoens and melt everything. I know the high temp paint wont melt, but black does absorb more heat than anything. I was figuring DIY'ng a few vent holes in the back but I dont know.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Guys, I'm having almost no luck with seperating the clear lenses. [:(] I've spent a couple hours per headlight and the sealer kind of seperates a little bit, but the cover doesn't seem to be giving at all. I've tried prying here there and everywhere, pulling as hard as I can, heating at different temps and times ranging from 180 - 300 degrees and from 5 - 15 minutes. Has anyone had similar problems? Does the sealer seperating mean I'm getting any closer?? I'm about ready to give up at this point before I ruin the lights. [:(]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bacarl - Sorry for the crudness of my drawing but it seems like your having alot of trouble breaking the seal. Its a tough project and you almost need to man handle the light to get it apart.. but After you heat it up and pull it out.. I used a flat tip screw driver to penetrate the seal. The clear plastic fits into the black plastic like my drawing.. and the sealent seals the 2 together on the outside of the light and the inside.. your gonna have to drive the screw driver into the sealant, pry the screw driver up and then back into the inside of the light.. I've probably confused you by now.. but take alook that the pictures maybe it'll help..

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeah that's what I noticed when I got in there. [thumbd] What's happening though is that I'm prying so hard on the black plastic (trying to get under the clear plastic) that I'm permanently deforming the black plastic, but that inside layer of sealer is still holding firm. I'll have to add sealer now regardless of whether I get them apart or not. Should I keep wrenching on it cus I'm getting close, or just leave it be and give up? Thanks for making the awesome drawing to help me out though! [thumb]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Do it the easy way... put them in the oven for 20mins at 300, and pull them apart.

This is what I did and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea I did the same thing Levelseven.. And bacarl says that he put his in the oven but still cant get them apart.

Any luck yet bacarl?

·
Registered
649 Posts
!!!! IMPORTANT TIPS !!!!

After taking a couple days off on this project, I've finally seperated the lights and am ready for paint. The CORRECT way to do this is to use as little prying as you POSSIBLY can! My first light I heated at 200-250 and pried almost all the way around; the black plastic housing is mangled! I hope to heat it and use pliers to form it back into shape. My second light I heated at 300 (at levelseven's suggestion). It took about three heating cycles (as opposed to like ten cycles for light #1). I poked a screwdriver through in ONE place and once it was seperated, I used only heat and pulling to seperate the halves. The result is a perfect seperation, no mangled housing, and because I heat-cycled flewer times, less "chameleon" damage to the clear plastic. Hopefully anyone interested in this mod can benefit from my mistakes [:)]

Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am glad you found my method to be usefull [:D]

·
Registered
237 Posts
any way to do this and not get that chameleon effect?

·
Registered
506 Posts
lol yea i used a heat gun 350*F (low) an only pried in 2 areas , LOL i know i tried the oven thing first PFFt didnt work for me or my patiance ran out. yes you will have mangled plastic but if your patiant enough you can ReCoNsTuCt the plastic housing , my first thought about my first light was OMFG that looks like a dog attacked it but carful use of the heat gun an some remanufacturing it turned out pretty good . now that i know how they come apprart i can heat it up on the outside only with out the chamealeon effect later on my driver side is a near perfect seperation . 6 hrs per light WOW from removal to finished well worth the hassel i'd say
i started at about 2:30 in the after noon yesterday an finished them both by 3am this morning .

for those of you want to do it GO FOR IT but be prepared for some reconstruction at the end reforming plastic ect.. my personal opinion the silver,black an white cars benifit best fromt his mine is sonic blue an turned out pretty good .

likly the cheapest mod to ever to on a focus ....unless you screw up really bad.

121 - 140 of 367 Posts