Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's been six months since this mod was first posted. I'm just wondering if anyone who completed the mod has had any problems with their lights since the install? Any cracking or discoloration from heating the lights in the oven?[hatchet]

·
Registered
489 Posts
No problems here. I know HeelToe has had this mod the longest out of the 2005 group. As long as you seal the light back up properly there shouldnt be any problems.

·
Registered
298 Posts
No problems at all!! It rained here in dallas for 3 straight days and flooded everywhere with random weather conditions and heat and all this other crap. No fogging or nothing. Only thing I suggest is cleaning the inside before resealling it. I forgot to do that :\. I will just have to do it later, it will be alot easier since the sealant isnt all over the plastic inside and out.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Karniv04 said:
Here are my results. Instead of blacking them out i painted them with the matching color of my car. Was hard to find but worked out well. Let me know what you think.

yes, finally someone posted a pic that shows the chameleon (orange, blue, green, purple...like in a bubble) tint the lenses now have....!!! I think its sweet and makes the front end look mean like that. That in itself is worth baking them.....[thumb]

I am in the DFw also, they survived and 2 hr commute from McKinney (north of Dallas) to back home in the pouring rain....no fogging or nothing...and my mm cai was even dry after that....impressed...the splash guard thats always in my way actually works.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think that "chameleon" effect is coming from the oven. And the plastic being heated and cooled several times.. I didnt know what you were talking about at first but now I understand what you mean. My lights have the same thing. Its kinda cool =P

·
Registered
489 Posts
I read that post.. but i didnt know what you were talking about until I saw your post with the pictures.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
wwturnerjr said:
It's been six months since this mod was first posted. I'm just wondering if anyone who completed the mod has had any problems with their lights since the install? Any cracking or discoloration from heating the lights in the oven?[hatchet]
Sorry don't check up on the thread that much. But no I haven't see any cracking, fading, or discoloration of the clear plastic. I have however have noticed a spot where the black paint has come off. This is cause I should have done 2 things. 1.) Scuffed up the chrome like its stated in my how-to. and B.) Used a clear coat to protect the paint. I've tried addingn that to my instructions but its to old and only a mod can make the changes to my original post.

-Matt

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I scuffed up my chrome with a pad, but I didn't clearcoat because they are sealed and won't now get touched.....I also wanted to avoid that spraycan gloss look to them so they look factory.

The paint is sticking well, but I will post up after a couple of 100+ degree days in the next month or two.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What kind of help would you like?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You don't need to take the screw in the fender out, you can pop the light out of it, it's only snapped in there, the screw holds the snap that the light uses in there. Anyway beats jacking your car up, just wanted to share that, hope yours goes as smoothly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can you not use a razor blade to cut the seal? I am seriously considering this mod in the next month or so but am kind of freaked about putting my lights in the oven.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You'll just end up cutting yourself with a razorblade.. Your welcome to try but i promise you that you will give up before you get anywhere.. Honestly the oven is the best way to go.

·
Registered
528 Posts
First off, I noticed HeelToe moved away from all of us so he can't come help me....

Second, madison355, are you saying the screw UNDERNEATH the car? the 3rd bolt, that's holding the light on, doesnt need to be un screwed? You can just yank it out?

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is no way you are going to yank it out with the last bolt in the fender still attached [confused].

I read that post before I did mine and tried it.... to say the least im a strong guy and it didn’t even budge.

Anyways I thought I would post my experience with the 05 headlight mod.

Once I had the headlights removed from the car I set the oven to 200 and popped the headlights in for 15 mins. Once out of the oven I tried to pry them apart with a screwdriver, after about 4 try’s of heating (15mins) then prying (5mins) I started to get a little frustrated...
So I cranked up the oven to 300 and put them in for 10 mins. Once out of the oven I decided to use sheer force and it paid off big time. I grabbed the corner-mounting piece (the little piece that hangs off the bottom of the light closet to the grille) and grabbed a hold of the lens right next to it and pulled using 200% of my strength and BAM! They popped apart in 5 seconds!!! No prying needed.

Once apart I taped off the turn signal reflector then scuffed up the rest of the chrome with the rough side of a dry dish sponge. Then I painted it using Krylon gloss black (about 3 coats).
Then I cleaned the lens with some detailer grade glass cleaning products and worked fantastic.

The final stage was to grab some black window-caulking load up the grooves with it and piece the lights back together, tape them and wait.

I am very happy with the final product now, but I have to say that at first I was in shock and wasn’t sure if I liked them or not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why is there such a problem with the headlights? They are pretty easy to get out.

101 - 120 of 367 Posts