Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 367 Posts

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
I got a small cracked one of them the second time I did it, because I just ripped it apart and didn't cook it and it got some condensation in it. I just covered the crack with clear bathroom silicone and used those silica (sp?) packs you get in shoes. Now there is no water. It can/does bring out the divits as shown in the pic below of another person who has done this mod. But that can be sanded and buffed out. Check out how mine turned out on the bottom!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did mine today....
But i think i did the sealing wrong.... :/
well find out when it rains and all that good stuff... looks wicked sick though..

·
Registered
798 Posts
i started to do this tonight. i figured taking the headlights out in the dark wouldn't be much of a problem. but i have the SAP and it looks like the whole front bumper has to come off to get the headlights out. can anyone verify that for me?
Got mine out no problem... Just got to squeeze under the front end and look, maybe even feel around for it. Considering this project tomorrow, possibly color matching. I am also considering doing the SAP black bar mod to make an EVO look-a-like!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just tried this project and completely screwed up my headlights... I would not attempt this if i was anyone reading this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bumping an old thread, i did it on a 2000 ZX3. Still looks badass!

The only thing is, the weather stripping on it is more difficult to take off/put on. I had to buy some locking washers from home depot, it was only a dollar for a little pack though. I've messed up my fingers taking of the silicone, and didn't end up finding clear or black silicone, so i ended up using red [screwy] and then i'm just going to cover it up later with black when a store has it in stock. [histerical]

I'll try to get a better picture on a sunny day so other foci' owners can see it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just tried this project and completely screwed up my headlights... I would not attempt this if i was anyone reading this.
What happened? When I did mine using the instructions from this thread, they came out perfect.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
YES!, but some of the wires will stay in the casing. Use a flat head screw driver, go around all the edges, re-cook and then start at the bottom and pry.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just as an added note, you can use some Plaxtix to refinish the clear lenses once they're done baking. This will clear up any flaws in the plastic and make them nice and clear again without the diffraction effect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i did this and after a few months my headlights began fogging up and accumulating dirt and dust on the inside. Not only that, but the light output was poor. I just bought new OEM headlights to replace them. I regret painting my headlights

·
Registered
108 Posts
i did this and after a few months my headlights began fogging up and accumulating dirt and dust on the inside. Not only that, but the light output was poor. I just bought new OEM headlights to replace them. I regret painting my headlights
there must have been a bad spot when you resealed them which is letting moisture and outside air inside, you could take them off again and reseal them after cleaning them out. Or it could be where the light socket screws into the back of the light.

Is there a problem with the light output after doing this procedure? While driving at night will it reduce the distance or width you can see?

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Wowa...Yeah, I didn't have mine fully sealed at first either. The issue is, after you seal them, you need to put that gell packet found in new shoe boxes and stuff like that. I did that and all the water is gone. Looks great!

N

·
0 Posts
Crows Feet

Do you know anyone who will back this up, someone on FF thats done their's some years back? Maybe a thread you read or a post.
Very good write up. Although this has been done several times over on the Ford Contour forums, and has been known to damage the plastic lense. Basically what has happened is that the heat from the oven will cause the lense to eventually develop what is called "crow's feet" or hazing in which the headlight will yellow and get surface cracks. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
painted headlamps

Do you know anyone who will back this up, someone on FF thats done their's some years back? Maybe a thread you read or a post.

I did it awhile back according to this thread. Worked OK, the only thing I would do different would be to cover/protect the lens with foil or duct tape, some type of insulation so the crows feet could be avioded...

Be advised, finding the correct temp is hard, start warm and go up slowly. Getting all of the adhesive out is a pain.

Patience is the key. Use a prep pad on the surface before you paint too.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
It didn't happen for me but if it does just get ebay lights!

281 - 300 of 367 Posts