Focus Fanatics Forum banner

221 - 240 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Got mine apart in less than an hour painted and put back together and re installed them in the morning they look great saved about 200 bucks by doing it myself compaired to the ebay ones.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Did it yesterday on mine. Waited overnight for the silicone to dry. Installed this morning, looks awesome! But I slightly wrecked my carpet where I did this.

Here's a couple tips for those about to do this:
-Use black silicone, not clear stuff like I did. Looks ghetto when you open the hood but who cares really

-If you drive an older Focus like me, a 2001, do yourself a favour and kneel down in front of the lights before you pull them out of your car. Look at the 'dome' where the bulb shines. Make sure it looks like it's in good condition. When I pulled everything apart I noticed that the upper part of the 'dome' was showing signs of paint/plastic bubbling from the constant heat of the bulb being lit up. By that point I was already committed. Either way, you can't tell and it looks good!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I didnt notice any diffrence from it cause you still leave the reflector unpainted so that it reflects and what not

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can i ask you what king of paint did y use for the black paint? Did you need to put a plastic coat primer ?

Thanks, and very a nice look !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did this mod this weekend

I painted the headlights on my 06 this weekend. Thanks to PhilMayfield for the how-to.

Some notes that I found made it easier for me. Don't know if Ford changed the adhesive they use since 05, but it was a bear to remove and split the assembly, even with the baking. I had to bake each one for 25+ minutes.

I came out with some damage from prying but they went back together fine. I did get some "crazing" from the heat on the first one. Then I covered the clear lens of the second one in aluminum foil and that stopped it from happening again.

After scoring the chrome with a pad I put on a coat of etching primer prior to flat black paint (I prefer flat black to glossy).

They look sweet now. I had a Steeda grill which I painted flat black to cover the brushed aluminum on the slats as well.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes that bolt was a pain i got really big arms and hands and it just took for ever but than i figured out that it was easier with a small socket and just spin the darn thing off lol. How you like yours painted i recently bought some silverstar turns to match it and there a blue tint there awsome and i got the silverstars in the headlights and there brighter than shit people are always blinkin there lights at me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Has anyone noticed any long term damage to the lens as a result of baking?

I'm about to throw my 2000-2004 style eBay halos in the oven (not painting, but doing an HID retrofit) If there are any ill effects, I may just use a hairdryer, or a heatgun. I'm very patient though, I can wait all day if the headlights decide to be stubborn. I'll probably be doing this tomorrow sometime.

I'll be making a thread about the actual retrofit when I get to the meat of the project.

·
Registered
276 Posts
lens spider cracking if not done at the right temp or time!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ok, so 200°? Or lower? And how long? I definitely don't want spider cracks on the lens, and like I said, I can wait for a while if I must.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought a cheap set all spider cracked(over heated but painted black), so I pryed my stockers apart without using heat! It only took a couple flat screw drivers and a razor knife.

My stocker housings took a beating, but the lenses are crystal clear and they came off without any damage. I took off the spider lenses and removed the blacked out inserts and reassembled using the non-cracked lenses, the baked housings, and the black inserts that were decent looking enough to use.

Looks awesome and no spider cracking!

Two sets of lights into one, and still cheaper than the ebay ones.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i wish i could say i had the same results as everyone else but i must just be stupid i did everything in the write up but it would not pry apart no matter what and on the last try i managed to somehow melt a couple parts of the housing and the lens decided to get crows feet so goes to say i will not be going any farther does anyone have a spare passenger side headlight? i wanna scream right now

221 - 240 of 367 Posts