Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
help me paint

Id like to paint some pieces of my car.

My seat hex/star bolts have rusted on their tops and id like to fix them up. Ive removed the rust and took some black spray paint to them but noticed that it didn't look right so I solvented that off and just left them bare for now. What surface prep is needed to paint these? I assume I should have used a primer. Is their anything else? What about an after coat of what ever its called that really makes that paint coat pop (shine)? Should I be using a special brand/type off paint?

Seen elsewhere in the forums a user added accents to interior parts/trim. Id like to know about doing this as well. My interior is all grey mostly, lets say I want to paint the radio trim or glove box door. Explain process please.

The center black plastic console? where my ebrake and shift tower is looks old and has white streaks. What would I do to restore its jet black attitude? Options for painting?

Pic uploaded showing how terrible it is

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
le bump for assistance.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another bump.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Okay, for the plastic, you want to scuff, and use an adhesion promoter before painting. It's like a primer that adheres to plastic. For the bolts, maybe a self etching primer

Reactions: Humphrey

·
Registered
354 Posts
Your going to want to wash it with some non-detergent soap (Eagle One car was soap is on of the best).

Then you to use some wax and grease remover. (Use two rags that will not leave anything behind like lint One with the W/G on in and then one dry to wipe it dry)

Then Use a Red scotch bright pad and scuff the whole thing up and then Wax and Grease it again.

Next is to use some adhesion promoter and stray the whole part with that. Helps the paint stick to plastics and flexible parts. After that you can then paint it what ever color you shall choose.

I have had good luck with Dupli-color Dash and Trim paint as well as VHT. All good stuff and it lasts.

Here is a dash I did a few years back. It was Maroon and Tan.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a couple things and will give it a go. Pictures to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts