Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 07 zx3, and i bought a oem switch from a local junkyard for $7. IT was from an 02, and i thought it would just pop in..i was wrong. I noticed that the housing was all the same. so i took off the front cover from my stock one, and then the front cover from the one i bought. I used the housing from the older focus, and just had to swap some piece, and it all fits and works. I just have to wire up the fogs/relay...no biggie

·
Registered
17 Posts
fog light wiring

hello from england, i have a 2004 1.6 lx this is the model that does not come with front fogs as standard. ive got the fogs and switch from a breakers yard, but cannot find the wiring loom, having searched the internet ive discovered focus fanatics, and even better this post on how to wire them up if the weathers good tomorrow i am going to atempt this project, im going to use the factory switch and tap into 83b wish me luck, tony

·
Registered
17 Posts
im from england and have a 1.6 focus, that has no front fog lights as standard, ive got a set and a switch from the breakers yard, ive looked under the car for the wiring loom but cannot locate it, after searching the internet ive found focus fanatics, and com across this post that answers all my problems, if the english weather is good tomorrow i am going to tackle this project, im going to use the standard ford switch, and tap into no 83b and hope i get a result, the original switch that anly pulls out once for the rear fog light has the same amount of wires coming out the back, thats why i think the wiring loom is there already, wish me luck, best regards tony

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi ive just joined the forum i have a 1.6 lx and am trying to fit front fogs, ive got a new ford switch and there are the same amount of wires coming out of borh switches, my question is did you have to go through the firewall or did you pick it up inside the engine bay, ive looked allover the car for the extra loom dut had no luck, all the best tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tony. I have a 1999 Focus CL and had the same problem as yourself. The extra wire for front fogs was in the plug that connected to the light switch. After hunting for ages, I concluded that the loom for the fogs wasn't there and had to make one. I have no idea where that wire from the light switch goes. I couldn't follow it without taking the dash apart and I wasn't going to do that so I ran a wire through the firewall and used a skotchblock to join it to the foglight wire on the switch and it all works fine. I'm afraid you'll probably have to do the same. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
fog lights

hi thanks for the reply did you tap into 83b and did you use a relay and inline fuse, sorry to sound silly, all the best tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I did just tap into 83b using a skotchblock. The Haynes wiring diagram shows this wire just running directly to the fog lights so I just ran the wire directly to the fogs and all is fine. Again, looking at the diagrams, there is no additional fuse for fogs, although I did put a 15amp fuse inline. Not because it is needed but to protect the light switch from damage should my home made harness somehow short out. That way my fuse cops it before the switch does. I picked up my grounds from within the engine bay. The nearside one is grounded to the -ve terminal of the battery and the offside one is grounded with the nearside lights to an earth point near the offside front of the engine bay.
Here is how I got the wire out to the engine bay. Maybe not the best way but I didn't want to drill holes and I couldn't find anyplace or grommet I could just shove it through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RXDHrjusHw

·
Registered
17 Posts
frot fogs

Hi thanks for getting back so soon, do I still have to run from the battery and use a relay or do I just come from 83b then a fuse straight to the fogs its confusing me a bit now.best regards tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
No relay is required. Just run from 83b to the fogs. There's no need for the fuse really. I just put that in as an extra safety feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
fog lights

Thank you for your help on this subject I've just gone out to the car and checked that the lights work it looks good my new switch has the dimmer for the dash and when I pull the switch out the symbyl for the front fogs lights up I will tackle this tommorow from my understanding there is already power going to the switch my plan is this from 83b down to the fogs to the green and yellow wires black to earth using the fuse after the switch I will give it ago, once again thank you, have a nice weekend, best regards at all times tony ruff

·
Registered
17 Posts
also a BIG thank you to norcalfocus01 for originating this excellent post, if you are ever over in the united kingdom pop round for a nice cup of my english tea, best regards tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problem Tony. Glad this helped you, just as it did me, a few months ago. So likewise, thanks to norcalfocus01.

·
ninja lurker status
23,126 Posts
just wired up some fogs, but i want to get rid of the aux switch on go thru the headlight switch. glad i saw this.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For reference purposes here is the wiring diagram and adjustment how-to from the dealer kit.

The dealer kit uses two relays that insures that fog lights are not on while the high beams are on. Apparently it's against DOT regulation to have fogs and high beams on at the same time.

·
ninja lurker status
23,126 Posts
so could i just repin my headlight switch with the power to the fogs?
my oem wiring is shot.
so just pull out the existing wire and run this one into it. and get rid of the relay all together, since the fog lights will only turn on on the "pull" of the switch?

edit:::

also, which wire is the ground in the headlight switch?

41 - 60 of 82 Posts