Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Ok got it all figured out, it was really easy actually, almost plug and play.

I just have one more thing to do, which is put a wire to pin 83b on the oem headlight switch. What kind of connector did yall use to do this? I dont have one small enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok got it all figured out, it was really easy actually, almost plug and play.

I just have one more thing to do, which is put a wire to pin 83b on the oem headlight switch. What kind of connector did yall use to do this? I dont have one small enough.
Isn't there a wire already coming out of 83b? If so just strip about a 1/8" of the plastic off the wire, wrap the bare end of your wire around it, and electrical tape it up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Isn't there a wire already coming out of 83b? If so just strip about a 1/8" of the plastic off the wire, wrap the bare end of your wire around it, and electrical tape it up.
see this is where i am stuck at too, i have the OEM, Fog lights, the surrounds, the OEM switch, and the wiring harness. which the harness is not OEM. i have everything routed and it's grounded but i don't have it hooked up to the battery yet, cause i am trying to figure out where the female interface for the male pin 83b leads to, so i can connect it to the switched input on the relay. do i have to drill through the firewall or route it through a grommet that leads to the wiring for the light switch? if our cars are not prewired for fog lights, is there even a line that leads from the light switch on the female receptacle for pin 83b? if there is a line, does it route to a fuse box inside the car or in the engine bay?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nope there wasnt a wire coming off of mine.

I can try and get a pic tomorrow.
Duh I just re-read your question and the part about 83b. I didn't connect to a OEM fog light switch, but I would say you should be able to get a female slip connector to fit on that pin.

see this is where i am stuck at too, i have the OEM, Fog lights, the surrounds, the OEM switch, and the wiring harness. which the harness is not OEM. i have everything routed and it's grounded but i don't have it hooked up to the battery yet, cause i am trying to figure out where the female interface for the male pin 83b leads to, so i can connect it to the switched input on the relay. do i have to drill through the firewall or route it through a grommet that leads to the wiring for the light switch? if our cars are not prewired for fog lights, is there even a line that leads from the light switch on the female receptacle for pin 83b? if there is a line, does it route to a fuse box inside the car or in the engine bay?
You can either...

go through the fire wall, which there are holes already there to slide the one wire through.

or go behind the fender and through the plastic plug in the door jamb.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Alright i found connectors that fit on the pin. Only problem is they dont fit through the harness. [?|]

So when i plug it into the back of the switch it cant connect all the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You got any extra harnesses laying around? You can pull apart the harness and get the plug and then wire it into your harness. [dunno]

I sent a PM to Mr.B to help you out as I didn't do it this way so Im a little lost.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Sorry I didn't think about posting a pic on how I wired it up.

I basically trimmed the wire down and shoved it behind the harness next to the wire that goes to 83b. Usually I'd dab some hot glue there to hold it down but since I didn't have any I put a few pieces of electrical tape to hold it down, then secured it all with zip ties so it doesn't come loose. It's worked fine since then.

Probably the better way to do it is to use a splicer.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Another question. How important is it that you use 14 gauge wire? I used it for most of my wiring but ran out and used some other wire I had laying around, and its not 14.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi. I have fitted the OEM switch with the fog light position and the spots are already fitted in the bumper. A replacement bumper was fitted after the old one hit a bollard. However, there is no harness to connect the fogs.
The connector on the light switch does have the Green/Yellow wire that supplies power for the fog lights.

According to the Haynes manual, this wire splits into two green/white wires, one running to each fog light. This implies that I can splice into this wire on the back of the switch and feed directly to the spot lights without adding any other relay or fuse. Is that correct?
Secondly, Where does that wire from the light switch go? If it runs to somewhere in the engine bay, It would be much easier for me to join into it there than to try and run a wire from inside the car. If I do have to route it from the car I cannot see any obvious grommets or holes I can run it through in the drivers footwell.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
OR you can do what I did.
I had a member on here make me a 2wire harness.

I used the middle wire of the grille lights as my soruce.
I cut the wire and ran light off of that. I cut the ground wire in two and spliced the turn signal and fog lights back it.

its been working for alomost a year now.. and NO it doesnt blink

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
OR you can do what I did.
I had a member on here make me a 2wire harness.

I used the middle wire of the grille lights as my soruce.
I cut the wire and ran light off of that. I cut the ground wire in two and spliced the turn signal and fog lights back it.

its been working for alomost a year now.. and NO it doesnt blink
So your fogs are powered from the grill lights?

How do the fogs operate exactly?

Sorry for all the questions but this is pitiful lol, I've had my fogs for almost a year and they still don't work.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
So your fogs are powered from the grill lights?

How do the fogs operate exactly?

Sorry for all the questions but this is pitiful lol, I've had my fogs for almost a year and they still don't work.
I didn't look back on all your posts regarding your fogs, but the main reason it's not working is your switch right? That one pic you posted has the wire shooting out of the OEM plug.

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
Im honestly not sure what it is.

I have it wired up according to the wiring diagram in the OP.

The wire sticking in the harness didn't fit because of the plastic insulation on the end of female pin connector I have on there.

But what I did was drill that part of the harness to make the hole bigger so the female plug would fit inside it and the harness could plug all the way into the switch. Once it was plugged all the way in I double checked to make sure the female connector was snug on pin 83b and plugged it all the way in. But no fogs, headlights and everything worked as normal though.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts