Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself a set of Euro Bi-xenon/LED headlights and have questions on how to make it work on my Canadian-spec Ford Focus.

I have done some research and found out that the only difference lies in the pins:

Pictures of Canadian headlight pins:

5- Highbeam
7- Ground
8- Turn signal
10- Lowbeam
12- Park lamp

Pins for Euro Bi-xenon/LED headlights:

2- DRL
5- High beam
6- Bend light
7- Ground
8- Turn signal
9- Low beam Ground
10- Low beam
11- Levelling motor ground
12- Park lamp
13- Levelling motor (+)
14- Levelling Control signal

Basically I will need to connect Pin 2 to make the DRL/LED light up together with my DRL/lowbeam.

Since our DRL/lowbeam is always on, can I just tap a wire into the lowbeam and power it to the LED so that they will be on at the same time? What parts do I need in order to have a clean/straight forward install?

I'm a newbie in eletrical, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Where did you find a set of euro headlights cause i want some and how much did they cost?

·
Registered
138 Posts
^^+1

·
Registered
683 Posts
^^+4!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Pins 11 13 & 14 are a problem. They require signal to the body control module and power to a stepper motor in the light housing that keeps the HID beam stable under varying conditions.
I hope I'm wrong but this is probably not going to work for you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should work as people have swapped these in their "base" Focus in UK, the levelling motor is there just to let you manually control the height of the beam I believe.

I managed to find someone from UK to import a set for me, it runs me over $1K as shipping is a killer....

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Pins 11 13 & 14 are a problem. They require signal to the body control module and power to a stepper motor in the light housing that keeps the HID beam stable under varying conditions.
I hope I'm wrong but this is probably not going to work for you
glad someone picked up on this. saved me the work of asking it. lol.

So Im assuming that unless you wanted to replace the module, some of those functions you will leave out.

I am still concerned about the signals. I dont have a diagram and I dont think they have 2012 ones out on alldata yet, but if the BCM is looking for a specific voltage or amperage signal at the lights, wiring an extra resistance such as the LEDs could really screw up the function of your lights.

Again I dont know if thats how this particular system works but I can guarantee it is all computer controlled past or even at the switch.

Hey if youre set on doing it though, by all means go ahead. I would like to see the outcome whether or not I'm right. I would expect to see them working, just not sure of some of the quirks there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It should work as people have swapped these in their "base" Focus in UK, the leveling motor is there just to let you manually control the height of the beam I believe.

I managed to find someone from UK to import a set for me, it runs me over $1K as shipping is a killer....
It's not for manual control. It is done automatically and controlled by the body control module.
I went through this same situation with my 2008 Saturn VUE. I purchased one light housing from Germany to see what it was all about. The systems are the same. It's been sitting in my tool shed ever since.
If you get it to work I will be both surprised and happy for you and everyone else that is looking to upgrade to HID lighting.
Keep us posted as to how you make out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It should work as people have swapped these in their "base" Focus in UK, the levelling motor is there just to let you manually control the height of the beam I believe.
QUOTE]

Hi, have they, I've heard them being swopped on the Mk2-2.5, but not with the Mk3.
Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
QUOTE]

Hi, have they, I've heard them being swopped on the Mk2-2.5, but not with the Mk3.
Chris
Can U level your lights ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, me? No they are self leveling, it is law to have that with HID's fitted from new in the UK, as well as washers. With halogens they can be manually controlled...
Chris

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi, me? No they are self leveling, it is law to have that with HID's fitted from new in the UK, as well as washers. With halogens they can be manually controlled...
Chris
That's what I thought as well.
I've got the EU halogens and I can level them from inside the car.
There is a little button that pops out of the control and they go up and down.
I'm interest to see if the OP gets these lights going in the US Focus, a lot of the wires are missing from the plug but anything is possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't mind missing the levelling control, as long as all the xenon and leds light up it's all good.

Back to my original question: As far as connection goes, can anyone shed some light on how should it be done?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't mind missing the levelling control, as long as all the xenon and leds light up it's all good.

Back to my original question: As far as connection goes, can anyone shed some light on how should it be done?
You could visit an Auto Electrical Workshop that specializes in customizations.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For using non-euro spec cars, you should have to use 2 pcs relay. First relay for bypassing lamp control system, second relay for DRL's. If you dont use those relays, it will not work correctly. For example, if you dont use first relay, it displays "headlight bulb faulty" message on scren and shutting down the headlights.

When you connected as seen as below, when headlights are on DRL's will down and parking lamps will be active. DRL and headlight should not be up at the same time, because of legal issue.

You can not use auto levelling or manual levelling without any cabling. US spec cars, no cabling for levelling. For auto levelling, you should have to buy many parts and you will need cabling also.

If you really want to use auto levelling, you should have to;
Headlight switch,
car bottom + engine cabling
headlight control module,
back axe levellers
front axe levelers

Those are would be very difficult and expensive.

Wiring diagram as seen as below;

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
ah that diagram is too low quality to read... Ill see if I cant find one myself but it appears there are several modules controlling the lighting system. Knew it would be all computer controlled.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts