Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These items seem most popular with people who go FI, but I have noticed (usually after AutoX or a day of thrashing about) that sometimes I would get oil in my breather. Since my new intake doesnt utilize a breather and runs the line between my filter and the MAF, I decided that I didnt want any oil vapor gunking up my MAF and intake.

I recently went on a search for a cheap and effective way to make a small catchcan and eventually settled on this idea I found online. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and saves you some buckage on an catchcan.

So here we go...please excuse the bad phone pics.

I grabbed these parts from the HomeDepot:

An aircompressor filter - was 12bucks.

and a few fittings to connect to the hose. There are:

2: 1/4" -> 3/8" fittings and 2: 3/8" - > 3/8" couplers

You will also need two small hose clamps and some 1/2" inside diameter hose. 4-5' of hose should be plenty and will cost about $6 @ autoparts store.

Then, just put everything together. I recommend using a bit of plumbers tape on the fittings. Here, you can see it assembled on one side...

Once both sides are screwed in tight, start running your hose. I stashed my rig in the corner, like b16sir1991. Seemed like one of the better options. You can see it sitting back between the filter and the fusebox:

I used some silicon spray on the ends so the hose would go on a little easier...its a tight fit....and then clamped it down and set it in there like so:

**NOTE: I have seen an open ended set up as well, where you slap a breather on the other end of the filter. This prevented peeps with breathers from getting them oil saturated and dripping oil on the track, garage etc.

And thats about it. The whole thing cost me about $20 and is very similar to the CFM product. Now to go thrash the car about !!

·
Registered
814 Posts
nice! Dig the mod, but i really dig that damn intake!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i seen this mod done on a new Mach1 today at a show in Mercersburg, PA. he changed it 2 weeks ago, and already has @1 inch of oil in the tank. though, this is coming from a heavier breathing v8. i might go to black fuel lines, im not sure i like the reinforced clear hose yet. any thoughts?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice work. I was considering the clear hose while I was in the HoDepot, but thought the black would look better in my compartment, thats not bad looking at all though.

I had seen someone's post where they had this hook up on their vette and apparently they collected a good deal of oil as well. He even noted that he had the car running and had his wife gas it a bit while he looked at it. The oil swirled around and so he ended up plugging the port on his intake and putting a breather on the open end of the "catchcan"

I certainly dont anticipate seeing that much in mine, but I am sure in a week or two there will be something...my car sees a lot of side-to-side action, lol.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
^^doubt there will be much. i dont think there is that much vaccum from the air intake to suck out so much mist too make it pool in the bottle. maybe after a few weeks, i will see something, maybe a few days and i will see some in the hoses. i gotta get 3 more small clamps though, to better help seal my system. ill try to update the thread when i see any changes.

edit... after @90 miles[casual driving] you can feel and see only a very light residue on the inside of the can. i am running the little filter that comes with the setup. is anyone else running this mod with the small filter?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A catchcan traps any oil vapor that may go through the hose from your valve cover to your intake.

The hose is there to vent your engine of excess pressure and runs back into your intake to burn off any unspent vapors...sometimes oil vapor can get in there and overtime gunk up your intake. Usually its just a little vapor that collects in the hose, but the vacuum from the intake can suck that in. This is just a mod to help trap any lil bit that might normally get sucked in.

·
Registered
384 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
The oil swirled around and so he ended up plugging the port on his intake and putting a breather on the open end of the "catchcan"
I dont recomend disconecting it from the intake altogether. The pcv needs that vacume from the intake to help pull the costic fumes and shit from the motor. If you remove this vacume sorce you will make you oil dirty faster thus decreasing times between oil changes.

Another aproach is to create MORE vacume to the pcv system. Some people do this with vacume pumps, some buy fittings the weld into the exhaust system the hook up tho the pcv system, Create a serious vacume and also dump the oil fumes into you hot exhaust for burning off.

And believe it or not more vacume in the crankcase can help power as well. Special piston rings are even avaible that take advantage of this in higher performance engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts