Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive been doing some research cus im a do my timing belt and water pump soon everything seems pretty simple exp

ive seen some people say u can hold the cams with a wrench ??? or a special pry bar style tool on the cam pulley its self ? im sure i can build this but my old toyota cams u can hold with a wrench can u do this with the zetec?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
yeah u can hold the cam w/ a wrench. the cam itself not the cam gear that is. theres a thread here somewhere w/ a video on how to do a timing belt on the Zetec.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I used some big ole' channel lock pliers and clamped down on the cam to hold it. It's best to have someone hold the pliers but I have done it by myself letting the pliers rest against the head, but it left a little dent on the head but nothing that effected it or anything. I did put a rag on the cam to keep from marring it up.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Best move you can make, is to. Replace those torx bolts for the cam gears with ARP cam gear bolts. Trying to hold a torque wrench with a torx fitting , while holding the cams, and getting to the correct torque is a circus act. And remember, snug the cam gear bolts with the cam timing plate in , remove the plate , and hold the cams to torque.

OH, And to loosen those cam , torx bolts the first time. I used a 3/8 impact wrench. A couple short busts worked great.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oreilly auto parts has this for $35 i am going to use this when i do my timing belt

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OTC0/6486.oap?pt=N0717
thats great bro but i got that tool from amazing http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6486-Tool...9YA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321932347&sr=8-1 for alot cheaper .

but that has nutting to do with breaking the bolts loose or tightening them .. if u try to use that tool while breaking them loose u will break ur cams just an FYI

and an impact is fine for breaking them loose i got one and i dont mind using it but i still rather have a correct way of holding the cam or pulley

this is from an older zetec i think .. but look here how u can hold it with a wrench like normal cams i didnt see this at all on are cams

any info from anyone thats done this job or work with stock zetec cams often ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best move you can make, is to. Replace those torx bolts for the cam gears with ARP cam gear bolts. Trying to hold a torque wrench with a torx fitting , while holding the cams, and getting to the correct torque is a circus act. And remember, snug the cam gear bolts with the cam timing plate in , remove the plate , and hold the cams to torque.

OH, And to loosen those cam , torx bolts the first time. I used a 3/8 impact wrench. A couple short busts worked great.
and ARP want 45 BUCKS for 2!!! bolts that's retarded i can get grade 10.9 bolts in this size for a good 2 bucks each ! locally in under 20 mins no shipping or waiting ?
just saying

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
see here

there those lil humps between 2 and 3 but the wrench can and may slip !

You can clearly see the spot to grab the cams with between 1 and 2 not 2 and 4 [thumb]

FYI for those who can't see it, it's the two little squares sticking up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
those two little squares are for the timing so u know it on compression stroke and i tried craving those too ... theres at a funny ankle the wrench slips ... i just dont see why ford would take the old wrench spot out like they had in the old zetec ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts