Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ideas on how to secure the sub box? I'll need to be able to remove it quickly for when the trunk is needed but this box is all over the place - even with carpet-on-carpet (damn that sounds kind of kinky). Ideas appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
you should be able to use a couple L brackets and secure to the carpet... i would think even velcro would work too.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^ x2....L brackets into the floor and set them apart from the box so you can lift the box out if needed

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yea L brackets are the best way to go, i used this in my 08 because not just the box was moving but also the carpet which wasnt tied down...but its all secure now

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Well what i did was a little more complicated but it looks and works great. I made a floor out of 3/4 mdf the fits the trunk and cut out a spot for the box to sit. So the floor surrounds the box. It slides no where!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^x2 go get yourself some mdf and create a faux floor raising it an inch or so. You can get really creative with it and add piano hinges to make it fold so you don't have to take the entire thing out to get to your spare. It also gives you some room to run your wires under it to go right to the speaker box.

To secure it down you can either screw in an L bracket to the box, but be carefull not to crack your sub box. I've seen it done in the past.

or

you can just add another 1"x1" piece of wood under the carpet and use adhesive to make a little bump under the carpet that will keep the box from moving around.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I was thinking some velcro too, but if you arent concerned about how anything looks then L bracks are a great way to do it. My sub box is built into the spare tire well so no movement, ehehe.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
i did what it sounds like focusboy05 did. placed my box so it was aligned to one side of the trunk so i'd have more useable space on the other side (2 12"s though, so not much space period), cut 2 peices of particle board. one fits between the box and the side of the trunk. the other fits between the box and the back edge (hatch) of the trunk. covered them both in carpet. with the carpet, they fit snugly, the box has absolutely no where to go. and i've got a small nitch in the back corner so i can slide a finger in and pull it all up (now THAT sounds a little kinky). but i love it this way, nothing is permanently mounted, but nothing moves.

also, velcro was mentioned. that'd probably work. go to walmart, spend $5-10 and get some crazy, large, super duty velcro. i've actually got some underneath the carpet to hold it in place, before i'd gotten the subs and the carpet just moved around all the time.

*found a picture of what i did*

·
Registered
49 Posts
The issue (from what I've seen) isn't between the box and the carpet, but the carpet and the metal of the body. My box will stick to the carpet covering the body and spare well, but the whole carpet moves against the metal of the body. Velcro between the body and carpet would work, so would l-brackets, and of course a false floor.

I went with the false floor route since I'm re-doing my system with smaller subs and a cleaner look. I even made a little hatch that you can pull out to access the spare.

Here's some pics taken from my thread here:

Here's the frame being fitted:

And then after being covered with 3/4" MDF and filling in seams/screw holes:

And finally after being carpeted:

Carpeted with the hatch for the spare:

In the car:

Since the floor doesn't move at all, the box sticks to it like glue. I've never seen it move an inch. But hopefully soon there won't be a massive box in it, just a couple of smaller ones. Hope this helps some way.

Then again, that's a lot of work to do just to stop your box from sliding around lol.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i need to do this to in my sedan. but need money to buy the wood. Would any kind of word work? we just baught some wood for our windows for a damn hurricane and if we dont have to use them im thinking about making a cover to put my subs on so they wont more

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used 3/4 inch MDF which is a little more expensive (not by much though, I think I bought big 2 foot by 4 foot sheets at Home Depot for $6-$7 a piece). I have seen particle board used as well, and it works fine, although it may be more prone to movement and warping.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
ok well we just got some boards that are 8 by 4 and not sure how thick. im thinking about getting the carpet out and laying it over the board and tracing it then cutting it and gluing the carpet down and nailing it so it wont move

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you use something like 3M Super 33 spray adhesive, you won't need to nail anything down. That stuff will keep a carpet glued to wood in the middle of a hurricane (no pun intended).

Whatever you do, make sure the hurricane's long gone before you start using that wood, so you're absolutely sure you don't need it anymore. Saving your ass should come before making a false floor.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
You can use anything for a false floor...plywood, osb, particle board, mdf...whatever you have or whatever floats your boat.

Mike

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea i just took the carpet out, traced it on a full sheet of MDF the cut it out. Set the sub box on top, traced it, then cut it out. Cut the final floor in half(it won't fit as one big piece), carpeted it and bam it works and looks great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts