Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum so be gentle [:D]

My Mk1 1.4 doesn't mind the rain, but shortly after going through big puddles at more than ~20mph I get the belt squeaking and the voltage drops (dim headlights, slight loss of power). It fixes itself in about 3 seconds.

So where does the water splash into the engine bay? I have some stainless steel sheet I was going to fit in the appropriate spot each side of the engine to deflect the water away when it splashes up from the wheels either side. I don't mind a few drops of water but surely there must be a way to keep it from soaking the important bits? (electrical gubbins etc)

Thanks guys!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sounds like the drive belt is getting wet. If the belt cover missing? Do you have the fender inter liners? You could posabily cover some of the underneath w/ your sheet metal. Of course measure it out 1st & then cut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the drive belt is the one that I can see serving the alternator with 5-6 other big pulleys on it, then I have no belt cover. I can see the whole thing. I don't think it had a cover since I've owned it. The liners are intact.

I've noticed that the bonnet insulation is saturated, meaning the water is getting quite high up in the engine bay. I'm thinking of a method to pinpoint where the water comes in, but no cigar. It must come past the front wishbones from the tyres underneath. I would like to eliminate the splash as close to the tyres as I can.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd look for a belt cover or shield.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bonnet underside can also get wet if the seal at the back of the engine compartment is missing.

Water follows the underside down from the windshield end, then drips on engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
why would you drive at 20 mph through standing water thats just asking for trouble hydroplaning would be the main concern but screwing up important things under the hood would be the other even with a belt cover water DOSE still get on top of the engine and well water finds a way to screw things up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm not going to slow to a crawl every time I see a puddle, however I do know the dangers of hydroplaning. This doesn't mean I'm immune to the danger, however.

I'm not planning to completely waterproof my engine, but just divert the bulk of the water in another direction when it tries to spray in from the tyres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts