Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I had gotten this car the one thing that I really needed was Cruise Control. I did my research on this site and after looking through all the threads i didn't want to have to go to a bunch of local yards and try and pawn parts off of them; also didn't want to take the time to do that, and it would've ended up costing more than what I spent.

Product: Audiovox Universal Dash-Mount Cruise control, available at Amazon.com

Price: 89.95+Shipping=97.22

Install Time: 4 hours.

Difficulty: 5 out of 10

The install went fairly easy; hardest part was figuring out what wires on the focus were what but a voltmeter solved that problem[headbang].

The First thing I did was set up the Cable system. it came with all sorts of hookups, i ended up using the Bead Chain with a length of 7 beads connected by a bead chain coupling to the bead chain eyelet connector, and then attached that to the servo assembly cable.

Next i needed to find where i was going to put the servo assembly, you cannot bend the servo assembly cable past 130 degrees, and since i had already taken up the space available near the battery/intake with my security horn, the only place available was near the passenger shock cover.

You also have to run the cable as parallel to the already existing cable on the throttle body, so i mounted it to the frame of the engine using a small tube clamp that was provided.

the Next thing on the list is to cut into a main vacuum source. the easiest place to do this was the hose that runs from the fuel rail. You can use what ever connection you want as long as it doesn't run to the master brake booster.

Here is where it started to get tough. The wiring was the most difficult part, but if you have a voltmeter. it is very simple. with this kit it has you connect the main servo assy to the main brake assy( right on the pedal basically) for its power source. you connect the RED-constant power, to the top of the right unit on the brake pedal. the PURPLE-(+12v when pedal is pressed) to the bottom of the brake pedal assy.

Then you have to cut into the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS). This can easily be found by removing the radio, and looking at the main wiring harness, to find a WHITE and GREEN wire, and connect it to the GREY wire.. VSS is used to monitor how fast the car is going, the radio used it as a volume increaser/decreaser depending on how fast you are going. My aftrmkt radio doesn't use it so i just cut it off form the harness.
You also have to hook the GREY wire from the control switch so its easier to tie them together and then connect them to the VSS with a wire connector, being sure to cover all exposed wire with electrical tape.

You then have to connect the YELLOW, GREEN, and BROWN wires form the servo assy to the same colored wires on the Control switch.

The only wires that should be left to connect should be the BLACK(ground) and RED(constant power) that changes to ORANGE after you connect it to the fuse holder, on the control module. These can easily connected to any of the fuses behind your CD-holder.

ORANGE is power, you can find a good ground anywhere near the fuse box.

The only wires that you don't use with this kit are the BLUE wire and the BLACK wire that run with the GREY wire.
-One note, because the bead chain eyelet connector is a lot bigger than the 'bolt' that you connect the servo cable to is, you will have to use a ZIP-Strip to hold it from coming off. it works very well and i haven;t had any problems with it coming off yet, so i assume that it wont[wrenchin]
Assuming you did everything correctly, and all of your connections were done right, it should work the first time you use it, as mine did.[woot]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was kind of soncerned about the chain as well....but it works awesome..stays between 1mph up and down hills....took a little while to install but it was well worth it

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nice job, what does the switch inside look like?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with all of this talk about installing CC going on i decided to take another look at my install and have come to the conclusion that it sucks. i went to the box that the CC system came in and looked at what i hadnt used..i found this black clip that will go into the throttle body and hold the cable assembly on so that no hole-drilling is needed and it actually looks OEM. here is what my CC setup looks like now:

i will eventually move the assembly under the car alarm horn...when i first did the install i cut the original vacuum hose...it i would've left it it would have been the perfect length...[bash][bash]

here is the pic of the control module:

adn here is a pic of where i put it:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanna bump this...

Is this the kit you bought?
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-CCS1...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1262554873&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Also, do you think this install would be similar to a zetec install?

Can a mod put this in the interior chat?
yea that looks like its the exact kit that i bought and like it says it is a universal kit so it will work. directions are very helpfull adn i'd be willing to help yah out with further details because it was kind of a pita but its been on for like 5 months now and have no problems...i should probably clean up the how to sometime also....better pics in the spring when its not 5 degrees here...[wiggle]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts