Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now i looked to see if there was any how-to for an after market shift knob an didn't find any. so i desided to write one up an it's my first one so dont nag on me, this will work only on the 2002.5 an up, if you know any of the names of some of these peace's tell me what they are an i'll go back an fix it. my shift know came with plastic inserts but were made wrong, some shift knobs have set screws. the last couple of pictures will make more sense once yoiu see why

with your stock shift knob you should be able to turn it counter clock wise to unscrew it.

Now you can eather pull it from the front or push the plastic peace that holds the boot down to the center console then just pull it straight up.

Now that tab you see on the back of the black plastic peace that holds the shift cable to the shift, just keep that tab in mind.

I put a small spring down the shifter to push the plastic that's on the boot up some more.

ok remember the tap where the shift cable was connected, well that tab needs to go between these 2 tabs (damn i feel so stupid calling them tabs).

now install the boot.

now take the plastic peace that's on the boot an you should be able to feel for where the tabs fall into place an hold it down (put presure on the spring).

i had a guy at work make me a metel insert to screw on the shifter.

just screw on the knob an the let go of the plastic peace.

An BINGO you just installed an after market shift knob.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Except now you have the problem of not being able to put your car into reverse because you can't move the reverse lockout, lol. I want to figure out if there's a way to remove the lockout without breaking the bars that hold it on.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
just take out that plastic lockout that you pull up on and bam! lockout deleted
You can't just "pull" it out. There's two plastic rods connecting it farther down on the shifter, and there's someway they pull out; but I haven't figured it out yet.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Sorry man, I didn't mean to come off wrong. I was just saying. But the knob looks good anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts