Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good ideas on how to get a stripped screw out? Whoever owned the car before me seems to have put a screw that looks like something out of an ikea do it yourself kit into the taillight housing and I can't get it out.... It was once a star head but now it's almost a flathead but not.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Can you post a pic with something next to it so we can see the size of it ? Say a dime or something for reference.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Vise grips possibly, if you can grab an edge may work. If not you may have to use a rasp or file and cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screw driver, which is what you have to do 90% of the time, and I know there is very little room to move there, just try your best.

If it wouldn't be on that plastic tab you could tap on a driver with the correct bit and it may loosen, but being it's a plastic tab odds are the tab will break, murphy's law and all..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already almost broke the tab out of shear frustration!

Pliers are a no go, this thing is in tight. Cutting is a good idea, I have no clue how to make it happen, but I'll certainly try it.

Worst case scenario I buy a new cover, it might be cheaper than the driving without a tail light ticket...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
That's why I asked for a pic. Wanted to see whats involved. That's the right solution, but it may be easier with tools on hand without having to buy that kit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so ya... apparently they make tools for this job, that takes all the fun out of it :p

Thank you!! I will have to visit Sears

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I asked for a pic. Wanted to see whats involved. That's the right solution, but it may be easier with tools on hand without having to buy that kit.
It was a good suggestion, I wouldn't be able to until tonight though. I'm at back at my desk at work.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Which screw are you talking about? On my '05 the "outside" screw is a Phillips head, not sure about the "inside" ones. Can you not just drill the head off (or grind the head off), remove the other screws and the housing, and then grab the remaining shank of the "duff" screw with a small pair of vice-grips? You are never going to be able to drill accurately enough on such a small sheet metal screw to be able to Eazy-Out it! As you already have a "centre" mark (the "star" head comment), just drill the head off using a cobalt drill with a diameter just slightly larger than the shank diameter of the screw (the same principle as drilling the head off a rivet).

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a pencil grinder you can put a mini cutoff wheel in it, grind a slot in the screw, and then just back out the screw with a slotted screwdriver.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edmonton is freezing, I have no garage. My choice was to get extremely lazy and just get groceries and come home.... I'll try it out tomorrow morning in the car wash and see what I can accomplish.

From what I've found they really messed with this light. The housing is not at all water tight anymore. Can I re-seal it or is it just best to get a new one? How much are they anyhow?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually what do you think about pick your part? I could try that out. I would technically just need the plastic covering.

hrm.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Left handed drill bits FTW!!! but don't skimp out, get the good ones, I used a cheapy set to remove a rusted torx screw for the seats, snapped the bit in 1/2. then i got some Royobi ones and they are awesome, and yes, they will come right out w/ ease!! Just need to get enough torque in there and you will be fine, this kit will let you!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Common chaps!!.......the screw involved here I don't believe is of a diameter large enough to allow him to drill a hole deep enough to be able to use an "Eazy-Out", Ezy-out, Easy-Out (or any of the common trade names for the type of bolt extractor in the red plastic box above), or any other kind of screw/bolt extractor, whether it be the aforementioned type above or the fluted type. It just ain't large enough. The most common sense method here is to simply drill the head off using a cobalt drill (don't waste your time with any other drill material), as I explained earlier/above.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You do realize that they make easy out just for stripped screws.. the kind where you dont drill. They use bits that are designed to get a good bite and usually remove the stripped screws first try.... no drilling or anything involved.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Common chaps!!.......the screw involved here I don't believe is of a diameter large enough to allow him to drill a hole deep enough to be able to use an "Eazy-Out", Ezy-out, Easy-Out (or any of the common trade names for the type of bolt extractor in the red plastic box above), or any other kind of screw/bolt extractor, whether it be the aforementioned type above or the fluted type. It just ain't large enough. The most common sense method here is to simply drill the head off using a cobalt drill (don't waste your time with any other drill material), as I explained earlier/above.
him = her ;)

I've decided I will most likely hit up the pick your part today (it's a little warmer) and find myself a new light housing (which will be water tight), snap this one off, get the stupid not made for this hole and stripped screw out and then re-install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts