Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how some of you guys up your boost. I have a 2014 Focus ST and from what I've read ppl use the Cobb access panel, SVT tuner, etc... Is that the best way for these cars or can you do it by adjusting manually? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Still currently learning about this car. Which I like a lot.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
I have no experience with the st but I do use cobb's acessport on my sti. It's works very well and their off the shelf tunes are pretty darn good. If I had an st I would get one for it. I would not attempt to manually increase boost on the car. Change the boost with a full map on the ecu

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no experience with the st but I do use cobb's acessport on my sti. It's works very well and their off the shelf tunes are pretty darn good. If I had an st I would get one for it. I would not attempt to manually increase boost on the car. Change the boost with a full map on the ecu
Thanks, I was actually thinking about getting the Ford Racing one. Any idea which is better or if either is really better then the other?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yes indeed a performance tune with a SCT is the way to go.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
I've had an sct xcal on my focus back in the day and it sucked compared to the acessport on the sti. But again no experience with either on your car so I can't say which would be better on the sct or which tune would be better

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
I sell the SCT Flasher and can do you a custom tune which most places just sell a canned tune and your stuck with that

To up the boost you have to do it in a tune there is no other way

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moving this to ST performance for a few more looks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the Cobb Accessport V3. I just recently bought it, and put the stage 1 93 tune on. And it made a HUGE difference! I'd pick that over any other. I will eventually have a custom tune, when I get more bolt-ons. The shop I go to can dyno-tune :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
All you need is a boost controller and an EMS. Fortunately the EMS on the Focus is re-programmable unlike for a bunch of non american cars.

But changing the boost also requires you to change a few things. The cheapest being the head gasket and get a thicker one, which will reduce the compression ratio. Of course you could buy lower compression ratio pistons but that will run you about $1K.

Using higher octane fuel will reduce pinging and detonation. A bigger I/C would be a good idea and even better if there's a fan on it. Bigger injectors, more powerful fuel pump.

Personally I wouldn't increase the boost just for the heck of it without building the motor a bit. What I would change is when the boost comes on. I noticed that on the Focus, the boost doesn't always comes up but only when you seem to need the extra torque/power. My track car has a turbo kit (max 18 PSI) and the boost kicks in a soon as I accelerate, regardless of the gear I'm in. Then again, the setup is completely different and the turbo isn't stock.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
All you need is a boost controller and an EMS. Fortunately the EMS on the Focus is re-programmable unlike for a bunch of non american cars.

But changing the boost also requires you to change a few things. The cheapest being the head gasket and get a thicker one, which will reduce the compression ratio. Of course you could buy lower compression ratio pistons but that will run you about $1K.

Using higher octane fuel will reduce pinging and detonation. A bigger I/C would be a good idea and even better if there's a fan on it. Bigger injectors, more powerful fuel pump.

Personally I wouldn't increase the boost just for the heck of it without building the motor a bit. What I would change is when the boost comes on. I noticed that on the Focus, the boost doesn't always comes up but only when you seem to need the extra torque/power. My track car has a turbo kit (max 18 PSI) and the boost kicks in a soon as I accelerate, regardless of the gear I'm in. Then again, the setup is completely different and the turbo isn't stock.
I cannot recommend this piggy backing method. The old ways no longer apply. Using a boost controller or replacing the waste gate actuator without precise control you're asking for failures.

The stock turbocharger is optimized for the stock performance characteristics already. There are redundant torque based controls that will fight you every step of the way unless you actually tune the car to adjust them.

There are some replacement direct injectors, but not much is know about them as far as flow, and there really aren't many higher performance high pressure direct injection fuel pumps which is the critical one not the in tank pump so much.

Some are piggy backing a port injection system to add in additional fueling, but this also seems like a bandage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cannot recommend this piggy backing method. The old ways no longer apply. Using a boost controller or replacing the waste gate actuator without precise control you're asking for failures.
You're absolutely right. I was referring to non American cars like the Elise that I have where the ECU is sealed and can't be reprogrammed (well, you can but you need to open it up etc.).

In that particular case, you have to have a standalone EMS and only retain the stock ECU for basic functions such as dashboard stuff, fuel pump and a couple other things. The engine management is done by the EMS. It's not piggybacking either, even though looking at the setup it sure looks like it is.

I'm just glad that the Focus ECU can be reflashed somewhat easily but if I wanted to really build it for say, racing it, I would go for an aftermarket EMS.
The AEM EMS4 that I have supports boost level swap as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you change boost levels yourself? with a handheld tuner or do you need to be a Mechanic/tuner?
You can buy a tuner and do it your self using a preset tune. Or you will need to get someone to custom tune it for you. I'm still a newb myself but i hope I help ya out a bit. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts