Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
you will need: floor jack, jack stands, tire iron, socket wrench, socket extension (to clear the strut), 17mm socket, 11/32" drill bit...another set of hands is also helpful
approx time needed: 1-1.5 hours

this was done on a 2000 zx3, however im sure most are going to be the same idea...all pics are of the drivers side

first jack up the car

remove the wheels

heres a look at the strut tower...no need to remove the fender lining

heres a closer look at the part of the tower where we'll be drilling...there should be 3 small circles in the vague shape of an inverted triangle

heres a picture of the hole we drilled w our brand new 11/32" titanium bit...ideally u want to use the circle that would be the top-left (in this pic...the closest to the front of the car)...however we had trouble fitting our drill up there due to the fenderwall...so we improvised

once the holes are drilled just line up the bar over the holes, and screw in the included hardware

then just repeat for the other side...

here are some pics of the completed install...thats really all there is to it

happy modding

·
Registered
450 Posts
Awesome How-To. I've been wanting to do this, but just wasn't sure how to go about doing it. You clear it right up for me![thumb]

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
a note on lining up the bar...i found that it was easiest to slide the bar in using a front-to-back motion, as opposed to top-down, or back-to-front...hope that makes sense

also, in hindsight i highly recommend marking off the drilling points from the inside of the trunk and drilling a pilot hole out...that way you're sure to get it exactly level and even

·
d u c k lover
0 Posts
very clear and concise intructions grendel.

um....the only problem is, is that i have no idea what a rear strut bar is....but i enjoyed looking at the pictures![:)~]

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump...this should be added to the how-to section...there are many posts asking for this.
there is already one posted in the how-to archive that apparently s2 likes better than mine ;) but thank you for the compliment lol...CLICK HERE for the thread in the how-to

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
just fyi if your ever working on a car that is up in the air you should definatly use jackstands or wooden blocks, dont know if you did, but its probably a good idea to specify that, so no one gets crushed or hurt if the car falls, and yes i know you dont really need to go under the car for the install, but if the car falls someones foot could get smashed...

Looks great though, you did a very good job, very professional looking, how much did it affect the handling?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
just fyi if your ever working on a car that is up in the air you should definatly use jackstands or wooden blocks, dont know if you did, but its probably a good idea to specify that, so no one gets crushed or hurt if the car falls, and yes i know you dont really need to go under the car for the install, but if the car falls someones foot could get smashed...

Looks great though, you did a very good job, very professional looking, how much did it affect the handling?
He is using wooden blocks did you see the first picture?[giggle]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
He is using wooden blocks did you see the first picture?[giggle]
that might be one of those locking roller jacks, but I mean that they(wooden blocks or jackstands) should be placed underneither the car's axles or anyplace other than where the jack is so if the jack fails the car doesn't come crashing down. Like I said too, Im not criticizing him, in fact I think he did a great job, Im just saying that so if other people who dont know much about cars try to do this, they stand less of a chance of getting hurt, I recently saw some dudes car fall off of jacks, when someone leaned on the car, luckily no one was hurt.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
nice how to and hot damn that subframe is rusty lol.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
your torque wrench is bigger than my head.

nice install though.

I agree on drilling pilot holes. Anything more than 3/8 should be first drilled with something smaller.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
i wonder why they never made these with brackets at the ends so they could be bolted into the strut bolt on top.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we didnt have jackstands and the floor jack we had was able to lock but i agree...jackstands are a very good idea...i just didnt feel like driving across town to pick some up...so we made due w what we had

as far as the handling is concerned...i have the front strut bar as well and it was installed first and after i installed it the car felt like the back end was going to slide out every time i turned the corner or took a long sweeping onramp, etc...after i installed the rear bar the car felt normal again...normal in the sense that neither front or rear wants to slide out...there is a definite increase in handling...the car feels much more stable going around corners/onramps/etc...and to anyone that says installing the front bar is a waste of time/money since it only increases handling by ~4% i say u can DEF feel it

my only "regret" w this mod is that it does decrease the amount of useable space in the trunk...its not a lot...but if you normally stuff ur trunk or have the seats down a lot then ur gonna notice it...as it is now i usually just keep bottles of car stuff between the bar and the seat...its the perfect height/distance from the back to keep them from flying around the trunk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That How-To in the archive doesn't have any pictures... When I read it I had no idea what to, where to drill holes, ect. It's not even a How-to just some guy asking where to put it and discussion...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That How-To in the archive doesn't have any pictures... When I read it I had no idea what to, where to drill holes, ect. It's not even a How-to just some guy asking where to put it and discussion...
lol...i didnt even realize that the links were broken...i just know that there was one in the how-to and that it USED to have pics...lol

anyways...glad that i could help out...and happy modding [:D]

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
Wow! Thats alot of rust, cool diy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anybody do this in a car with the factory sub-woofer? I'm wondering how it fits in relation to that.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Never ever work under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack as shown even if its the only thing you have. It is not safe!!! Jack stands are really cheap and should be a part of everyones tool collection. Don't start these kinds of jobs unless you have the appropriate safety equipment.

Sorry but I must request that this not be stickied for this reason alone!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts