Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very short how to as it's pretty simple. All you'll need is some old stapler you don't use that has a spring and your broken lid from the arm rest. You basically just shove it in between the black latch and the armrest lid. I used a little super glue to help keep it there but it'll stay without a problem even if you don't use glue. Note: put the small end of the spring (if there is one) so that it touches the black latch and the larger part of the spring touches the lid.

Pictures (Click to enlarge):

·
Registered
485 Posts
i shoved a piece of folded paper in their lmao it works sometimes but i am definitely trying this today

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Yeah, when mine broke I thought it was because I was missing a piece. I know my friend's Camry has a little metal clip/spring sort of thing that holds the arm rest down. I'll have to see what I have lying around the house.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine has never worked. I have learned not to flip it up. May give this a try. Nice post.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Neat trick. If I still had a focus with an arm rest I'd do this. It was broken too and drove me nuts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No staplers in the entire house!! This fix would be worth buying one just to cannibalize it for the spring, haha
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I might try this out. I'm SICK of friends, mechanics, and girls flipping that armrest up and spilling everything I've got in the backseat.

·
Pimp'n ain't easy
11,215 Posts
Mine has been broken forever I used some butterfly hinge thingy I found in the garage. Works great I'll snap some pics when I get my car out of the shop

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well it's kinda like this, all those Ford High Muckity Mucks sat down in a confernece room and pulled out their spread sheets, threw them on the table and compared their length. The number crunchers said if we make it out of plastic we can save this much moola. They all voted Yea and they even decided that a replacement part was not needed and people could just complain all they want, we don't care cause we saved a few dollars that we pocketed and help pay for our vacations in the Bahamas. And that's how Ford and GM do business. Companies that are either greedy or barely staying afloat to scrimp on a funky little spring. You decide.

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
How 'bout BOTH, I've never seen one of the guys at the top of one of those companies go lean just because his company is tanking. No. NO, that's the time to be reviewing the golden parachute wording, you ask for MORE-they will be desperate to get rid of you at any cost by then. It's the American way and 'just good business' as Lee Iacocca used to say.......yeah, the same guy that gave us the Pinto and fire deaths by car.

I printed annual reports by the top companies in the world for 15 years, the line in all of them that made me want to throw up most was the one about CEO and top dog compensation...................'We pay according to what other highly and competent people in this same position make at other companies as we have to be competitive to keep and retain our best most valuable employees (meaning all the rest of you will get squat, you are worthless dogs if you can read between the lines).' Then they go on to say the pay is not excessive, it is only 'fair'. How they squash every single shareholder attempt to limit pay at the annual meetings. What a line of crap.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
There's more to it as well, between replace don't repair and most parts being sourced from anywhere BUT a Dealer there's no incentive to stock much.

I was the weirdo when buying my first new Ford, in '85 the stepside P/U didn't come with a rear bumper - you chose the style you wanted to bolt on. Ordered ALL the official bolts to put the pretty straight chromed one on, and parts/mechanics thought I was nutz to order factory for a new vehicle.

Asked about the optional tach not installed as well, ordered the module that fit right in the center of the instrument cluster. Even found they had a speedo gear to match my winter tires/wheels, another item they seldom sold.

Got used to ALL parts being avail. for Cycles from the Dealer, and customers WANTING matching pieces. American cars/customers are weird, as long as it isn't an exterior beauty piece anything that works is fine. Cheaper the cob together the better, work well & last? - who cares, it works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts